PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leak at banjo

wingman
01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi all,

I did a long search on this problem but couldn't find anything to answer my question.

I had a leak from the PS reservoir (low-pressure hose weep). I replaced the hose and it worked fine. Issue is that I loosened the banjo bolt at the pump to drain fluid. On replacing the bolt with new genuine washers the fluid weeps around the washers. I've torqued it up correctly, done everything right (I think) but she still weeps (more like crying a river!!!). Any help with this problem would be great.

bmwpower
01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
There might be some crud between the washer and the bolt or hole. If so, it's probably screwed up the washers enough to warrant replacing them again....sorry. You can try to snug them a tiny bit more to see what happens.

wingman
01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
There might be some crud between the washer and the bolt or hole. If so, it's probably screwed up the washers enough to warrant replacing them again....sorry. You can try to snug them a tiny bit more to see what happens.

I actually changed the bolt as well on the 2nd but still weeping on the bolt side as well. I'll do an extra thorough clean on the 'next' attempt. Thanks for the advice.

shogun
01-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I found some banjo bolts which has cracks inside the winding. Pre-owner tightened them too much. fluid was leaking there.Pics
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/124919/

wingman
01-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I found some banjo bolts which has cracks inside the winding. Pre-owner tightened them too much. fluid was leaking there.Pics
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/124919/

Thanks Shogun,
I know from experience how easy this can happen. I got a brand new one in now.

Robert K
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I've done the same repairs and had similar problems. It is true that the surfaces all need to be flat with no nicks or scratches, and no crud in there when tightening. But I've also coated the washers with a slight film of some type of gasket shellac to help seal it all. Worked for me.

Robert K
1991 535i

wingman
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks Robert. I was talking to a mate last night who is a hydraulic mechanic by trade. He couldn't over stress the importance of clean surfaces. I find it funny that the 'genuine' washers provided by the dealer are steel and not copper?!?! Strange indeed.