PDA

View Full Version : I smell coolant in and around my car But theres no leak?

Sam-Son
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
as near as I can tell theres no leak. No sign of any coolant leaking out of any where. all the hoses are new the cooling system was replaced around 25k miles ago. I have no idea whtas goin on. Why am I smelling coolant?
Thanks
-Mike

uscharalph
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Heater Core?

Sam-Son
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Heater Core?
Is this something thats a priority? The earliest I can get it looked at is in a couple of days

Qube
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Heater core? Smell it through the center vent. Check for moist carpet around the center console area. Priority? Depends how bad it is.

NovceGuru
01-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I've smelled coolant since the day I bought my car (3 years ago) and only seem to need to add any in the winter, and after leaving my car in the sun on a winter day I have fog on the inside of my windows....

Leaves one answer huh. Well, I guess it could be my sun roof drains since after I go to the car wash I get water pouring out of my map light !??!?!?!?? :(

bmwpower
01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Heater core or a hidden leak. Check near your heater valves and aux water pump for leaks. They're right near the fresh air intake so it's often confused as a heater core issue. Pop the cover and take a look.

For a heater core check, get under the car and take a look at the 2 drain lines on either side of the tranny tunnel. They drain the condensation and/or leaking coolant from the heater box above. It should be obvious if there is leakage there.

CharlesAFerg
01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
as near as I can tell theres no leak. No sign of any coolant leaking out of any where. all the hoses are new the cooling system was replaced around 25k miles ago. I have no idea whtas goin on. Why am I smelling coolant?
Thanks
-Mike
So are you losing coolant, but can't find any trace of it? That's what is happening to me. But I'm assuming you mean that you aren't losing any at all... hmmm.

Ross
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
If you smell it there is a leak.
In the car it's probably the heater core o-rings or the core. I've seen lots of BMWs that have the odor out of the vents from a "weeping" seal in the heater. Usually it goes away or at least isn't objectionable after air has circulated a bit. This could almost be considerd normal inan older E32 or 34 it's so common.
If out side, look around the water pump, a slight leak on a hot surface will evaporate away before dripping. There will be a stain where the coolant has dried up and left the minerals behind.

Sam-Son
01-10-2008, 05:23 PM
the weird thing is that the car was left Idling for a while and I could smell it around the car but there wasn't anything on the ground or whatnot.

Ross
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
You might have better luck finding it searching just after a hot shutdown while the engine heatsoaks increasing the pressure a bit.
There are so many hoses and connections stuffed under the intake that are a bitch to see. Could be a tired radiator too.

Sam-Son
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
You might have better luck finding it searching just after a hot shutdown while the engine heatsoaks increasing the pressure a bit.
There are so many hoses and connections stuffed under the intake that are a bitch to see. Could be a tired radiator too.
checked and still nothing...this is getting really strange
The radiator is brand new

632 Regal
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hahahaha! So common, check the hoses going to the wiper squirters, those always fall off.

I've smelled coolant since the day I bought my car (3 years ago) and only seem to need to add any in the winter, and after leaving my car in the sun on a winter day I have fog on the inside of my windows....

Leaves one answer huh. Well, I guess it could be my sun roof drains since after I go to the car wash I get water pouring out of my map light !??!?!?!?? :(

632 Regal
01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
sorry to mess this thread up with the login crap, gonna change servers soon.

You mentioned new hoses, go and tighten ALL the hose clamps. When I replace all of mine they started seeping about a month later, no clue why but tightening them solved the issue.

checked and still nothing...this is getting really strange
The radiator is brand new