PDA

View Full Version : *^$# this car!!!

94_e34_525i
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
So my piece of crap BMW needs a new transmission.....Wow after I babied this car since i owned it it breaks down on me with only 108k miles. What a piece of crap. I changed the fluid and after 4k miles this happens. Bmw's are gay.

Ross
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Your profile tells me you were probably nine years old when this car was built. So, I'll speculate that you are not the original owner and not responsible for most of this car's maintenance. Chances are good your fluid change may have been the first.
Was the fluid changed in response to trans problems?
It's a French built GM trans that doesn't cost a ton to overhaul, if your car is as nice as it appears in your sig then probably well worth the expense.
Your frustration would be better directed at the car's previous owner or perhaps the kind of use it's had. That chip and K&N aren't for "babying" a car.

Dave M
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Sounds vaguely familiar............

see advice provided here (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36552)

Dragunov
01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
It's an auto tranny. I heard those die at around 100k miles.

infurno
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I was under the impression that the expected lifetime of an auto tranny is 100k miles.

whiskychaser
01-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I'll speculate that you are not the original owner and not responsible for most of this car's maintenance. Chances are good your fluid change may have been the first.
It's a French built GM trans that doesn't cost a ton to overhaul, if your car is as nice as it appears in your sig then probably well worth the expense.

x1. They dont come out of the factory fkd. Like any other part either something wore out or wasnt maintained properly. Shame its LHD. I'd have given you scrap value for the shell:D

repenttokyo
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
This just in: 14 year old cars tend to break down. Sources say they "may not" be as reliable as a new car.

AngryPopTart
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Are you guys speaking specifically about his transmission, because this stuff about automagicals going out after 100k, I've never heard nor experienced that. (Except with our minivans; STUPID CHRYSLER TRANNY'S!)

AngryPopTart
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Also, people don't seem to realize that cars such as BMW's are not like Honda's. A Honda is made of cheap, easily obtainable parts, which break much more often than a BMW. A BMW may be expensive to repair, but it doesn't break down often. It's just that when it gets old, and everything is finally to the point where it's probably going to need servicing, then it gets expensive. This is why maintenance records are actually important when buying a BMW, as opposed to the Honda which is going to lose a coil pack without question for whatever reason.

Hey, this is no attack on Honda. I would love to own a cute little Honda, but let's not kid around; they are cheap cars, made to be cheap, made in inordinate numbers, and parts availability is high, which is good because they tend to break often; much more so when they are not cared for. And it's fun to take such a car and make it fun to drive with lots of goodies.

nirvana19
01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
our 02 town and country's tranny blew at 75k. Replaced under warranty along with some parts of the cooling system, the entire air conditioning system, both sliding door motors, two engine computers, and a host of other things I don't even remember. DAD drives it, and its still actually better riding/handling than japanese ones. AND dad still thinks its a decent car, though with 95k its soon to be replaced with a ML320 bluetec (diesel).

if the tranny in my car dies, I will cry. If the headgasket blows, I will cry. If both of those die AND the radiator craps out, I'll go sit in a corner for a day. But the next day (maybe actually week or month), I'll fix it (or overhaul the engine and do a 5-speed swap)

repenttokyo
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Also, people don't seem to realize that cars such as BMW's are not like Honda's. A Honda is made of cheap, easily obtainable parts, which break much more often than a BMW. A BMW may be expensive to repair, but it doesn't break down often. It's just that when it gets old, and everything is finally to the point where it's probably going to need servicing, then it gets expensive. This is why maintenance records are actually important when buying a BMW, as opposed to the Honda which is going to lose a coil pack without question for whatever reason.

Hey, this is no attack on Honda. I would love to own a cute little Honda, but let's not kid around; they are cheap cars, made to be cheap, made in inordinate numbers, and parts availability is high, which is good because they tend to break often; much more so when they are not cared for. And it's fun to take such a car and make it fun to drive with lots of goodies.

i disagree, I find german cars to have more problems comparatively to japanese cars, particularly toyota. My experience has been the opposite of yours - my bmw has been very reliable, but for VW, BMW of certain types (e36, etc) and ,mercedes, they break much more often.

I also find that japanese cars are much more reliable if neglected in comparison with bmw's. if they aren't cared for, they take a lot of abuse before they break. unlike our cars, which demand vigilance.

whiskychaser
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
This just in: 14 year old cars tend to break down. Sources say they "may not" be as reliable as a new car.
This is very good sense. My partner made a powerpoint presentation called 'the naughty bmw' of a couple of minor issues I had with mine:
1.the gearbox was ill. garage put oil in. think they put in banana skins too. it died. I put in another and its fine
2. My engine has a chain not a belt. Belts break and valves can be wrecked. Same happens if chain slips. Put head on 3 (yes 3) times cos it leaked at the timing chain cover
Anyone wants to have a laugh at my expense I will pm it.
My point is this: I've never let a car beat me. So dont be a girl.
If you dont want the hassle that comes with ownership then lease one. If you are smart you can write off the whole of the lease costs and not just depreciation:)

AngryPopTart
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I also find that japanese cars are much more reliable if neglected in comparison with bmw's. if they aren't cared for, they take a lot of abuse before they break. unlike our cars, which demand vigilance.

I have to agree with you, here.

Jehu
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Manual Swap FTW!

mikell
01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
So my piece of crap BMW needs a new transmission.....Wow after I babied this car since i owned it it breaks down on me with only 108k miles. What a piece of crap. I changed the fluid and after 4k miles this happens. Bmw's are gay.

So junk the SOB 'cos it needs work. Get a Toyota. Or a Huyndai even.

How many months on a new car payment would cover the cost of a rebuild on that tranny?

Russell
01-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Do Bmw dealers still offer lifetime warrenties on major part items tranys when they are dealer installed?

E34-520iSE
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
How long is a lifetime then? 100,000 miles? 10 years?

Russell
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
How long is a lifetime then? 100,000 miles? 10 years?
Sorry-I believe it is or was as long as you own the car. Not sure BMW even offers the warrenty anymore.

rob101
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
How many months on a new car payment would cover the cost of a rebuild on that tranny?
maybe he'd rather that his money is vapourising due to depreciation than get his car fixed. guess thats his choice and some people are like that because the costs aren't as explicit as having to pay a shop to fix things.

Again of course a fool would assume that it must be the cars fault, machines should never break. In fact i'd challenge you to find a honda with 100 000 miles where stuff doesn't go wrong.

I don't really understand why people post this stuff on here, virtually all of the people on this forum are not really sympathetic because obviously they do think that the cars are worth it.

Jehu
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I said it before. The engineers were not designing this car with second hand ownership in mind. That these cars are of any serviceable use whatsoever is entirely the good fortune of their present owners. Frankly we, owners of their designs in some cases nearly 20 years out , were of absolutley no consideration. Complaining about a well used,pre-owned car breaking down qualifies as a waste of breath.

CharlesAFerg
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Nobody in our age gap babies a car, especially since it seems like you bought a "BMW" for the brand name.

You offend us for generalizing like this, don't you even read the board?

wtf Ignorance.

Besides, if you bought an E34, you should have enough money to take care of it and replace the transmission, it's cheaper than buying a new car by far. Particularly a good one in this day and age.

repenttokyo
01-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I said it before. The engineers were not designing this car with second hand ownership in mind. That these cars are of any serviceable use whatsoever is entirely the good fortune of their present owners. Frankly we, owners of their designs in some cases nearly 20 years out , were of absolutley no consideration. Complaining about a well used,pre-owned car breaking down qualifies as a waste of breath.

completely disagree with you.

Complaining about a well used,pre-owned car breaking down qualifies as a waste of breath.

completely agree with you.

infurno
01-09-2008, 11:18 PM
In defense of bmw... Had 3 Accords, and none of them exist today. The bimmer takes every bit of driving abuse and just smiles right back at you. Like thats exactly what it was built for.

Second, I dont think that people drive a honda/toyota/whatever the same way they drive a bmw. I know I dont. Rapid acceleration, extreme rpm, not to mention any service/tune up is very expensive. My speculation is that an older bmw may be more prone to breakdown because its been through a lot more abuse. Not necessarily because its less reliable.

I think everyones experience is going to be a little different. It really depends on too many factors, difficult to measure. (driving conditions, area, maintenance, quality of maintenance, overheating....) But I don't think its fair to just speculate without study.

There is no real way to tell how the car was treated by previous owners, unless by a long term experiment. Sure you can read reliability reports, but they would be no more accurate then what anybody here would observe themselves.

My 2 cents.

repenttokyo
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Second, I dont think that people drive a honda/toyota/whatever the same way they drive a bmw. I know I dont. Rapid acceleration, extreme rpm, not to mention any service/tune up is very expensive. My speculation is that an older bmw may be more prone to breakdown because its been through a lot more abuse. Not necessarily because its less reliable.

you've obviously never seen the kids in my neighbourhood :;)

Paul in NZ
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
ask them if they think their cars are reliable....

infurno
01-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Yeah but those kids are destroying the cars. Generally the next stop is the salvage yard. Not a conversion back to stock as a certified reliable honda with pot under the back seat and NOS stickers all over it.

I don't know this for a fact, only my observation (at salvage yards).

Zeuk in Oz
01-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Bmw's are gay.
I must admit I have never really asked my car its sexual orientation. WTF is this statement supposed to mean ?

Interesting thread, however, but I do think we are comparing apples and oranges. By this I don't mean the comparison between BMWs and Japanese cars.

What I mean is that a BMW, especially a 5 series and especially an E39 or an E34 are vehicles designed to be savoured for their ride, handling, performance compromise etc.

What strikes me is that the majority of the population are too ignorant or disinterested or simply unable to appreciate this unique product. I suppose it is a little bit like going to a classical orchestral concert if you are tone deaf - you don't appreciate the little nuances.

What I am suggesting is that if like me, when you first drove an E34 you marvelled at the rear suspension within 100 metres of starting the drive, then you are one of the few who really understand what all the fuss is about.

Not everyone feels it or is interested.

The fact that these cars handle and perform so well is the reason that we bother with them at all. We can't get this seat of the pants thrill anywhere else so we keep replacing heater cores, we keep changing coolant etc etc.

If a car is simply a means of getting from A to B, with no interest in how it performs or handles, then a BMW, especially a 5 series, especially an OLD 5 series, is perhaps not the car for you - buy a Yaris and enjoy it.

On the other hand, forums such as this have helped novices like me become fairly knowledgable about these cars and help simplify maintenance issues.

So for my 2c then, drive a BMW if you want, but nobody cares if you don't like them or appreciate them and you drive a camry - its your loss.

uscharalph
01-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I was under the impression that the expected lifetime of an auto tranny is 100k miles.
My tranny's going strong @ 284,000 miles.

Ross
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I must admit I have never really asked my car its sexual orientation. WTF is this statement supposed to mean ?

Interesting thread, however, but I do think we are comparing apples and oranges. By this I don't mean the comparison between BMWs and Japanese cars.

What I mean is that a BMW, especially a 5 series and especially an E39 or an E34 are vehicles designed to be savoured for their ride, handling, performance compromise etc.

What strikes me is that the majority of the population are too ignorant or disinterested or simply unable to appreciate this unique product. I suppose it is a little bit like going to a classical orchestral concert if you are tone deaf - you don't appreciate the little nuances.

What I am suggesting is that if like me, when you first drove an E34 you marvelled at the rear suspension within 100 metres of starting the drive, then you are one of the few who really understand what all the fuss is about.

Not everyone feels it or is interested.

The fact that these cars handle and perform so well is the reason that we bother with them at all. We can't get this seat of the pants thrill anywhere else so we keep replacing heater cores, we keep changing coolant etc etc.

If a car is simply a means of getting from A to B, with no interest in how it performs or handles, then a BMW, especially a 5 series, especially an OLD 5 series, is perhaps not the car for you - buy a Yaris and enjoy it.

On the other hand, forums such as this have helped novices like me become fairly knowledgable about these cars and help simplify maintenance issues.

So for my 2c then, drive a BMW if you want, but nobody cares if you don't like them or appreciate them and you drive a camry - its your loss.
My old 535 is butch as can be, I always thought the 525 touring might be a little limp wristed.

94_e34_525i
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, I wasnt expecting this many responses, so many different views. And Charles how do you know i didnt baby the car? You dont know me...i spend so much time on her and this is what i get, anyway this is the last time im buying a automatic bmw the very last. I love bmw's i really do, this is just really hard to swallow fellas you have to understand. I just dont get why they are so damn sensitive, my brother had a 76 volvo 244 it had 260,000 miles on the original tranny and engine and it purred like a kitten. Why should "the ultimate driving machine" be less reliable, that is my gripe. A new tranny cost 3200 from BMW, and that has to be shipped from Munchen. Anyway my car is nice btw its practically mint in everyother way except the tranny. Ill just have to swallow this i guess.

94_e34_525i
01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Oh and for those who think im an ignorant 23 year old who races my car you are retarted, im smart enough to know my 3800lbs e34 with an m50 is to slow to race so why would i do it. I never even redlined this car. Ever. Im just disheartened.

94_e34_525i
01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Nobody in our age gap babies a car, especially since it seems like you bought a "BMW" for the brand name.

You offend us for generalizing like this, don't you even read the board?

wtf Ignorance.

Besides, if you bought an E34, you should have enough money to take care of it and replace the transmission, it's cheaper than buying a new car by far. Particularly a good one in this day and age.

I should have enough money to replace my transmission....wow are you living in the real world bro? Im a college student how do i have enough money to do that? And NO i did not buy the car for the brandname,I bought it cuz since i was a lil boy my uncle had the same car and i always wanted that particular model you dont even know me why pass judgment on me..not cool. Im not trying to insult you im just shocked at your response.

94_e34_525i
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Your profile tells me you were probably nine years old when this car was built. So, I'll speculate that you are not the original owner and not responsible for most of this car's maintenance. Chances are good your fluid change may have been the first.
Your frustration would be better directed at the car's previous owner or perhaps the kind of use it's had. That chip and K&N aren't for "babying" a car.

I actually was going to get a MANN filter to replace my K&N cuz i read about the implications of having dust goin in the motor. And the chip? Well i got it cuz my car is slow off the line and i thought it would help. I dont race my car, its an automatic for god sakes.

repenttokyo
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow, I wasnt expecting this many responses, so many different views. And Charles how do you know i didnt baby the car? You dont know me...i spend so much time on her and this is what i get, anyway this is the last time im buying a automatic bmw the very last. I love bmw's i really do, this is just really hard to swallow fellas you have to understand. I just dont get why they are so damn sensitive, my brother had a 76 volvo 244 it had 260,000 miles on the original tranny and engine and it purred like a kitten. Why should "the ultimate driving machine" be less reliable, that is my gripe. A new tranny cost 3200 from BMW, and that has to be shipped from Munchen. Anyway my car is nice btw its practically mint in everyother way except the tranny. Ill just have to swallow this i guess.

'a' bmw isn't less reliable, 'your' bmw is less reliable.

buy your tranny somewhere other than bmw and save $$$$$

NovceGuru
01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
used tranny....a friend, a weekend, < $800

Ferret
01-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Internet generic 'you dont know me! *angry*' time...

I'm not having a go here, just making some observations:

In all seriousness, it's easy to get irrational when you've had a major setback like this, but having an angry rant at something that's held in high regard by all members of this forum is not going to go down well. It's totally immature behaviour to brand everyones car, just because you've had a bad experience with yours.As repenttokyo points out - it's not all E34s that are unreliable, just the ones that haven't had all the attention they need.

You should know by now that changing the fluid in the auto box on these cars will either save or suicide it a few months down the line - there's horror stories all over these forums and the rest of the 'net. Furthermore there's masses of advice that says 'if you're going to change it, half change it first and full change it 6 months later'

I also agree with Zeuk's sentiments, you should have known what you were getting yourself into here. E34s and E39s are some of the best driving cars in the world, but they're high maintennance because of it, at this age you cant really complain when things break.

I do happen to agree with the thought that the E34 auto boxes are a bit crap, but both of the ones I've had (and one was really abused with a coolant/ATF cross leak I didnt bother repairing) have both soldiered on regardless - who knows, I may have been lucky.

Also, you point out you're a student that cant really afford massive repairs like this. Man, when I was a student, I knew I'd sink not swim financially if I picked up an E34, so I stayed the **** away from the pool! I was quite happy to bide my time in tinpot Rover 200's until I knew I could afford anything these cars would throw at me after graduating.

Old F4 Pilot
01-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm the 7th owner of my 1989 (build 12/88) 525i. the first owner picked the car up in Dingolfing on vacation, drove in europe for a month and had it shipped to Knoxville, TN where it now again resides. He was a Neurosurgeon, enjoyed and maintained the car well and drove it hard as I do. The next 5 owners did not care for the car so well. When I purchased it in December 2000, it had 164,000 miles on it and it looked "Like it had been ridden hard and put away wet"! I immediately took it to my local BMW dealer and started slowly bringing her up to proper specs. Now 7+ years, 203,000 spirited miles later, the M20 motor and 4R22 auto trans are still intact and running perfectly! I now have 367,000+ miles on the energizer bunny, and it runs perfectly! If I ever win a lottery, she's going to be shipped back to the factory in Germany for a total rebuild/restoration, with cost being no object!

semiretired
01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
It's an auto tranny. I heard those die at around 100k miles.
My auto tranny still going strong after 252 thousand miles.

I'm sure it will fall out on my way home, though now that I've opened my big mouth

rob101
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
My auto tranny still going strong after 252 thousand miles.

I'm sure it will fall out on my way home, though now that I've opened my big mouth
just out of interest how often do you change the fluid?