PDA

View Full Version : ot - go juniors! whoooo!

timandbim
01-04-2008, 07:25 AM
what do you guys think? or maybe i should just keep my real stickers...

LunatiC
01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
If you can rig up something that is similar to the Rolls Royce style of wheels where the emblem stays upright at all times regardless of speed, then I think it would look pretty good :D

RockJock
01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Go Sweden!

repenttokyo
01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
The game today was great until the Americans deflated in the third period.

Black 535i
01-05-2008, 04:03 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/JuniorHockey/article/291312

RockJock
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
My kid loves and plays the game; in Canada one is completely inundated by hockey-hype, like there's nothing else worth playing.... when worldwide it's a rather insignificant sport.

It's kinda sad when >99% of the Canadian population doesn't have the foggiest idea who a guy like Owen Hargreaves is, particularly when athletically on the global stage, he's more significant than any of the NHL material Canada has produced over the last ten years (including Sid the Kid and his entourage of hype)....

I was really hoping someone else would win for a change; a US or Swedish gold would have been nice.

repenttokyo
01-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Canada spent many years not winning in international hockey, I don't begrudge their current victories.

I don't think it's sad that as a Canadian, I have no idea who Owen Hargreaves was until i looked him up just now...why does that matter? People choose to be passionate about what they want to be passionate about. Saying someone is more 'significant on a global stage' or that 'worldwide it's a rather insignificant sport' is ridiculous. I've personally played hockey in the US, Holland, Germany, and Canada. Have you ever had the chance to play internationally and see how many people actually care about the sport?

Does soccer not being popular in North America make it less 'significant'? Does cricket being unpopular outside certain Commonwealth nations make it less 'significant'?

Live and let live dude. Don't be bitter because in Canada we have 8 months of winter and as a result more people play a winter sport like hockey than a summer sport like soccer.

By the way, maybe if Owen Hargreaves hadn't moved to Germany at the age of 16, more people would know who he was.

timandbim
01-06-2008, 12:49 AM
i know who hargreaves is - he'll never score as many goals as gretzky! :D
i thought he was england's best player last wc - shame he can't skate, i doubt he'd choose to play hockey for england.

actually you might be surprised how many people are into footie here (not sure where you are rj), but since our squad never makes the finals the world cup is just a colourful party. like repenttokyo says i think it has to do with the sport being pretty unplayable here over the winter which is when the main season is for everyone else. a lot of us who play organized ball over the winter play 6-a-side in converted hockey rinks with high walls at the ends and the goals cut into them so actually it plays a lot like hockey. (after which we drink beer and go watch the hockey)

that was an awesome final. i always feel bad for any junior team that loses in the finals because they are all so young and everyone plays their heart out. hope its just as good next year!

...including Sid the Kid and his entourage of hype... dude come on, crosby brings it and backs it up too- the hype is deserved. i don't think hockey is more guilty than any other sport as far as hype goes, even here.

RockJock
01-06-2008, 04:05 AM
well said!; it's nice to see that i didn't get under your skin ;) :D

i know who hargreaves is - he'll never score as many goals as gretzky! :D
i thought he was england's best player last wc - shame he can't skate, i doubt he'd choose to play hockey for england.

actually you might be surprised how many people are into footie here (not sure where you are rj), but since our squad never makes the finals the world cup is just a colourful party. like repenttokyo says i think it has to do with the sport being pretty unplayable here over the winter which is when the main season is for everyone else. a lot of us who play organized ball over the winter play 6-a-side in converted hockey rinks with high walls at the ends and the goals cut into them so actually it plays a lot like hockey. (after which we drink beer and go watch the hockey)

that was an awesome final. i always feel bad for any junior team that loses in the finals because they are all so young and everyone plays their heart out. hope its just as good next year!

dude come on, crosby brings it and backs it up too- the hype is deserved. i don't think hockey is more guilty than any other sport as far as hype goes, even here.

repenttokyo
01-06-2008, 04:41 AM
it's always quite sad for me to see the goalies after a deciding goal is scored against them. When people aren't playing for money, the stakes are really different.

RockJock
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
it's always quite sad for me to see the goalies after a deciding goal is scored against them. When people aren't playing for money, the stakes are really different.

I agree, the poor kid was devastated ..... a psychologically tough position to play.