PDA

View Full Version : gas tank lid?

BigTed00
01-03-2008, 06:12 AM
grrrrr my car HATES the cold

So today its unusually cold here in SC (sub 40s) and I take my car out to run some errands. I need gas so I pull into the station and as I'm opening my gas tank lid I hear a terrible snap. When I finish filling the tank and goto close the lid, this is what happens:

http://i12.tinypic.com/6kz4qk5.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/8aziefc.jpg

How ****ing ghetto is that? Now the only thing holding the gas tank lid to the car is the circular metal piece.

Can someone lend me a hand? I cant find anything in my bentley manual that diagrams the gas tank lid. How much is this going to suck to replace? whats the part #?

BigTed00
01-03-2008, 06:25 AM
I figured out how it comes off (really easily) and I understand what needs to be replaced, I just need a part # for that plastic hinge on the lid.

ElNormo
01-03-2008, 06:28 AM
I can't tell exactly what broke from your picture, but you can replace the plastic hinge for just a few bucks. I got mine from the dealership, but don't recall the part number. There's also a metal spring that goes with it to snap the door shut. You can replace them both pretty easily for cheap.

Norman

grrrrr my car HATES the cold

ElNormo
01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
RealOEM shows the hinge to be part #51171928197.

Good luck!

BigTed00
01-03-2008, 07:46 AM
RealOEM shows the hinge to be part #51171928197.

Good luck!

thats the part, much appreciated

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=41_0814&hg=41&fg=25&hl=10

LunatiC
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Funny thing happened the other day -- exactly the same thing!

I doubt my hinge (which was what broke) has ever been replaced before, so it was 12-year-old plastic that just gave up and broke -- it had actually split nearly the whole length of the metal rod that makes up the hinge. For a few days I had a wire tied around the inside of the flap and the chassis of the car, in case the hinge does give way and I don't want to lose the whole thing.

Anyway, I had contacted Patrick from BMA where I got the new hinge for $11.50 and installed it today. Make sure you put the hinge on the flap/door FIRST, before putting it on the body of the car otherwise you will be making this job harder than it needs to be. For me, I found getting the old hinge off harder than putting the new one on. Also when it comes to putting the flap with the hinge onto the body of the car, it is easier than it looks -- don't need to apply too much pressure, I just happened to tilt it in the right angle and the whole thing just slotted in like a bought one.

BigTed00
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Anyway, I had contacted Patrick from BMA where I got the new hinge for $11.50 and installed it today. Make sure you put the hinge on the flap/door FIRST, before putting it on the body of the car otherwise you will be making this job harder than it needs to be. For me, I found getting the old hinge off harder than putting the new one on. Also when it comes to putting the flap with the hinge onto the body of the car, it is easier than it looks -- don't need to apply too much pressure, I just happened to tilt it in the right angle and the whole thing just slotted in like a bought one.

I picked up a the tab for $19 shipped from bavauto. Just for kicks I called the local $tealership, the wanted $34.99 (dont know why i bother even calling them)

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to install the plastic hinge to the door before I insert it into the body. I was pissed when I broke it but this is going to be a cake repair

nirvana19
01-03-2008, 04:20 PM
If you figure out how to put the little metal spring thing back on, please enlighten me. It was simple enough to put on with the door and bracket off the car, but I just couldn't get the hinge to move into the right position to be able to put it on the car. So now the hinge is on fine, but I keep it on with a little piece of tape. pretty ghetto... maybe I just need to start lifting again

LunatiC
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
The metal spring (clip) should be on the hinge at all times. What I ended up doing was once the hinge was on the door, I used (a lot of) force to push the hinge in the 'open' position. With the hinge open, the spring is in tension and doesn't move about much, hence less of a chance of it slipping off.

Once it was at that stage, it was just a matter of pushing the hinge into the car chassis.

Once the door is on, I have no idea of taking it off without actually breaking apart the hinge. And I have no idea how the spring could be clipped in with the door already mounted -- I guess this is why I have always read to put the hinge on the door first before putting the door on the car, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

nirvana19
01-05-2008, 04:31 AM
The metal spring (clip) should be on the hinge at all times. What I ended up doing was once the hinge was on the door, I used (a lot of) force to push the hinge in the 'open' position. With the hinge open, the spring is in tension and doesn't move about much, hence less of a chance of it slipping off.

Once it was at that stage, it was just a matter of pushing the hinge into the car chassis.

Once the door is on, I have no idea of taking it off without actually breaking apart the hinge. And I have no idea how the spring could be clipped in with the door already mounted -- I guess this is why I have always read to put the hinge on the door first before putting the door on the car, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

I guess I'll have to get creative.

timandbim
01-05-2008, 07:07 AM
i just now put mine on with a new hinge on it - the metal clip has always been missing for me and it has always stayed shut (till i busted it that is - actually i'm pretty sure it was already busted i just opened it not even hard and it kind of exploded into bits... it was cold too...). it was a pita for me- even had to sand a bit of the plastic (i broke a tiny bit too @#$!) but it got in eventually and works ok still without the clip. i'm thinking i might order one to have around for the next time it breaks.

nirvana19
01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Thats odd, mine doesn't stay closed at all without the clip, it flaps around all over the place.