PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking blower?

Black 535i
01-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Recently when the weather is cold, my blower fan is making screaching noises until it warms up or if I turn the fan speed up. I am assuming that this is the problem as it sounds like it is coming from this area in the dash. Is there a place to lubricate anything here or is this a sign of some sort of unit or bearing failure? Real OEM lists the part at $273.00 new and I have better things to do with that money but I may be able to get it much cheaper from a donor car. Is this a good fix or no? Anyone else have any idea what could cause this squealing sound? How does one get to this part to repair anyway?

http://picasaweb.google.com/RecordCampy/BMW

nirvana19
01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
You can pick them up used or rebuilt for not so much. Also there was a recent thread on here about swapping the motor and reusing the cage with a cheaper one. Its behind the firewall, I was just reading up on it as mine is making a terrible sound and I' going to replace it this week. If you have the rear expansion tank, you have to move that out of the way and then remove the panel in the firewall that covers it up. Doesn't look too bad but I guess I'll see

dennyg
01-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Recently when the weather is cold, my blower fan is making screaching noises until it warms up or if I turn the fan speed up. I am assuming that this is the problem as it sounds like it is coming from this area in the dash. Is there a place to lubricate anything here or is this a sign of some sort of unit or bearing failure? Real OEM lists the part at $273.00 new and I have better things to do with that money but I may be able to get it much cheaper from a donor car. Is this a good fix or no? Anyone else have any idea what could cause this squealing sound? How does one get to this part to repair anyway?

From taking out two of them in my parts cars I saw that mice love to build nests in that area. I just sold one to Lou from Canada but his was not working at all. I can sell you my last motor at a reasonable price if your interested.

Jeff in MN
01-01-2008, 01:24 PM

I have done this on both my e28's (similar location of motor) and they have been quiet for 3 years now. Don't use WD40. Use something like 20 weight. I used 5w-30. As mentioned in the other post, you have to remove the expansion tank and then the fire wall cover. Tedious, but doable in an afternoon.
Best of Luck.

Black 535i
01-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Supposed to hit 55 F here in Chicago this weekend so the repair will be more bearable than the -16 F it is now.

Qube
01-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Are you certain it's the blower? Is the sound coming from the top or can you hear it louder near the dials?

Black 535i
01-02-2008, 05:09 AM
I can hear the horrific squealing and when I turn the fan to a higher speed it quickly goes away. Cannot tell exactly where it comes from. What are you thinking it could be? I'd hate to spend $200.00+ on an unnnecessary motor if not required.

Qube
01-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Just one thing. Does it happen if you have the blower OFF, then start the car... ever?

Black 535i
01-02-2008, 06:01 AM
...and there was no squeal with the fan off but when I started the car and then turned the fan off it started to squeal from the area of the dash vents.

Ross
01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Your blower motors bearings are toast. Check Shoguns thread on a replacement motor. Lee auto parts in the NW burbs seems to carry it, I have it on order and will post about how it works.

repenttokyo
01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
i made a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, it seems replacement motor is the way to go. Far too cold for me to change myself outside now tho, so I have to suffer with it.

Black 535i
01-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Located in Lincolnwood on Pratt called Northside Imports at 800-247-2491. Whole new assembly with blower motor and fan cages for $148.00 and I will install this weekend in better 55 F weather rather than today's 8 F cold here in Chicago.

RSK540iA
01-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Mine also has its moments. It may be quiet for weeks but sometimes starts on low speeds when the air is dry, getting worse under hard braking. Getting rid of the noise only takes a drop of oil (I had a similar problem on my Peugeot 505GTi), however, getting the blower out seems to be a mission. Once its out you may as well check the bearings/bushes and change the brushes.

Venus4NU
01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I am in the same boat. Mine started out as a squill when the fan was on low - turned on high and it went away. I wasn't up to changing mine as the temps haven't even hit freezing in weeks. Now it only works on settings 3 and 4 and makes the noise all the time. Tomorrow we are expecting high 30's so we are going to tackle it. I likewise found the price to be in the mid $250's. I stopped into O'Reilley's to get some synthetic oil and filter and asked if they carried a motor. YUP, not OEM but at $125 and with the same warranty I am going with it.

My floor vents don't work. Haven't worked since I bought the car. Anyone have any links on what I can do to get them to work? My toes are getting mighty cold in this sub zero weather.

Thanks,

Venus