PDA

View Full Version : Alpina B10 biturbo number 95

Dragunov
01-01-2008, 11:39 AM
To my great surprize, an e34 b10 biturbo popped up for sale in hungary(how it got here i have no idea), the asking price is 11250 euros.

Two questions. Is this a reasonable price and does someone have any info regarding this particular b10? I'm considering selling my soul and taking out a big loan to buy it.

Also, the seller says he replaced the turbos.

EDIT: The description says it's "metallic light green", is this an original color is it resprayed? I only ever seen one dark green b10 and pictures arent available for some reason. I might ask for some.

Sam-Son
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Get pics, check out condition, sell soul, get car, enjoy

pundit
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Now that i'm seriously considering running into bankrupcy for this car, i would like to know, how's the availability of replacement parts? Obviously i'm talking about the parts Alpina changed/added. Does alpina still sell them? Becouse it seems very unlikely that i find a b10 parted out when i need something.

I assume that i can get all the other parts off an 535 or straight from BMW
You should realise that an Alpina E34 B10 Bi-Turbo is not simply an E34 535i with a couple of turbos bolted on and some Alpina trim.
Most of the running gear is specially designed for the car.
The Getrag 290 transmission is stronger than the standard trans, also the differential (with it's own oil cooler), tail shaft and drive shafts are beefier and the brakes are 4 spot Girling I believe.
Suspension is Alpina specced Bilstein, pistons are Mahle, cylinder head, manifolds, camshaft and engine management are all Alpina customised etc.
Then you have the inter-cooler and a larger radiator fitted, along with the water cooling for the turbos.
I haven't included the front bar and spoiler along with other body trim, not to mention the Alpina interior!
The fuel tank is larger (90 litres versus 80) and I think a higher capacity fuel pump is fitted.
So in reality most of the critical parts are not standard 'off the shelf' E34 bits.
I would be looking for an Alpina forum and speak to some owners before I'd take the plunge if I were you as these types of vehicles require deep pockets and if money is a concern I would be thinking twice about it! ;)

BigKriss
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
seems you know quite abit about the b10 pundit.

You should realise that a an Alpina E34 B10 Bi-Turbo is not simply an E34 535i with a couple of turbos bolted on and some Alpina trim.
Most of the running gear is specially designed for the car.
The Getrag transmission is stronger than the standard trans, also the differential, tail shaft and drive shafts are beefier and the brakes are 4 spot Girling I believe.
Suspension is Alpina specced Bilstein, pistons are Mahle, cylinder head, manifolds, camshaft and engine management are all Alpina customised etc.
Then you have the inter-cooler and a larger radiator fitted.
I haven't included the front bar and spoiler along with other body trim, not to mention the Alpina interior!
The fuel tank is larger (90 litres versus 80) and I think a higher capacity fuel pump is fitted.
So in reality most of the critical parts are not standard 'off the shelf' E34 bits.
I would be looking for an Alpina forum and speak to some owners before I'd take the plunge if I were you as these types of vehicles require deep pockets and if money is a concern I would be thinking twice about it! ;)

pundit
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
seems you know quite abit about the b10 pundit.
Sometime ago (for a fleeting moment) I wondered what it would take to turn a humble 535i into something approaching the performance spec of a B10 Bi-Turbo.
For example a 'stealthy' almost stock looking 535i that would leave a 6 litre HSV Commodore behind.
So I did some research and after looking into what made a Bi-Turbo tick, I discovered it would take a lot more than I thought! ;)

BigKriss
01-01-2008, 10:09 PM
wouldn't an aftermarket turbo kit do just the same if not better though such as this one here (http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm)

Sometime ago (for a fleeting moment) I wondered what it would take to turn a humble 535i into something approaching the performance spec of a B10 Bi-Turbo.
For example a 'stealthy' almost stock looking 535i that would leave a 6 litre HSV Commodore behind.
So I did some research and after looking into what made a Bi-Turbo tick, I discovered it would take a lot more than I thought! ;)

pundit
01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Here we go...

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/HTML/alpina_b10_biturbo_e34.html

and here's the specs...

Engine
3430cc, Inline 6 cylinder, twin turbo
Bore / Stroke - 92mm / 86mm, Mahle Pistons
Compression Ratio - 7.2:1
Block / Head - Aluminium Alloy / Cast Iron
Valve Gear - SOHC, 2Valves per cylinder
Ignition - Bosch Motronic M1.2 fuel injection
Max Power - 360 Bhp (PS-DIN), 268Kw (ISO) @ 6000rpm
Max Torque - 384 lb/ft, 521nm @ 4000rpm
Turbochargers - 2 x Water-Cooled, matched Garrett T-25

Transmission - 5 Speed Manual, Getrag 290

Differential - 25% Limited Slip with Alpina cooling fins

Suspension front - Independant McPherson Struts

Suspension rear - Semi-Trailing arms, Fitchel/Sachs Self-levelling

Steering - Recirculating, Power Assisted, 3.2 turns lock-to-lock

Brakes Front - Lucas/Girling 13.0" (330mm) vented, 4 pot caliper

Brakes Rear - 11.8" (300mm) disc, 2 pot caliper

Wheels - Alpina 20 spoke, aluminium

Tyres - Front 8.5J 235/45/ZR17, Rear 9.5J 265/45/ZR17

0-60mph - 5.2 seconds

0-100mph - 12.1 seconds

Quarter Mile - 13.2 seconds

Top Speed - 179.2mph

L/100km - 8.8@90km/h, 11.2@120km/h, 17.4 City

pundit
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
wouldn't an aftermarket turbo kit do just the same if not better though such as this one here (http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd_catal.htm)
One of the advantages of the Bi-Turbo design was just that... two small turbochargers each fed by three exhaust manifold branches.
This allowed for smaller turbos and reduced lag.
Unfortunately this design was not compatible with R/H/D vehicles as the steering box is in the way.
Hence all E34 Bi-Turbos are L/H/D.

There are non-turbo R/H/D Alpina B10 E34's (I've seen two here in Melbourne)...

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~rowmat/BMW/alpina_b10.jpg

...but never any Bi-Turbos.

Yes it is possible to build a super powerful turbo M30. Plenty have done it! :)

Dragunov
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Woah you guys are starting to scare me away from alpinas altogether, especially pundit. It's already a financial challenge for me to get the asking price, and this "deep pocket" talk is making me have second toughts.

This is a chanse that will probably never pop up again, but i would like to be able to afford food in the future so it would be nice if i didn't have to rebuild the whole car each year(of course i don't mean this literally)

Though so far you only commented on what a lot of parts were "alpinified", which i was aware of by the way. I'm more interrested about availability of these items, which nobody mentioned a thing about.

Sorry if i don't sound thankful, i'm just extremely nervous about this whole thing right now. This sale could vanish any minute along with my dreams of owning a b10 and i don't even know wether i can get replacement parts at all. And i can't jump into financially killing myself as long as i'm uncertain about maintenance

BigKriss
01-02-2008, 02:13 AM
there's plenty of info here (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=2175007) along with other forums around.

ThoreauHD
01-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Alpina is in the business of selling parts. You get it from them. Their car is not a standard BMW. You can't use standard OE BMW parts for major systems in the vehicle.

And the B10 is the pinnacle of BMW in my opinion. It's the most beautiful powerful new cars can't touch it thing that Alpina and/or BMW has ever released. If you can get your hands on a well-kept B10- sell your kids and your wife. Buy car. Love car. Watch it appreciate in value. Send family post card in arab slave camp. Enjoy.

Jon K
01-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Don't get too scared - they are KKK turbos (I beleive) and an M30. Its not THAT bad to maintain/repair one.

Dragunov
01-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Now that i'm seriously considering running into bankrupcy for this car, i would like to know, how's the availability of replacement parts? Obviously i'm talking about the parts Alpina changed/added. Does alpina still sell them? Becouse it seems very unlikely that i find a b10 parted out when i need something.

Barney Paull-Edwards
01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Fear not! They made them bloody strong and they do last. Like the M5,the mods over a standard car are comprehensive and in deep.A lot of seemingly small bits like rear bush plates are different and for a good reason, its a bloody fast car! Starve and enjoy.

RockJock
01-04-2008, 02:50 PM

so, did'ja buy it yet??...did'ja...did'ja...huh...huh? :D :D :D

RockJock
01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Don't get too scared - they are KKK turbos (I beleive) and an M30. Its not THAT bad to maintain/repair one.

Garrett T25's .....

Dragunov
01-05-2008, 01:50 AM
so, did'ja buy it yet??...did'ja...did'ja...huh...huh? :D :D :D

Nah it's gone :( Someone was faster.