PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help!!! installing subframe plate and 13mm bolts both broke!!

wyze
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
so yeah easy install...not...damn quebec

alright so as i said i was unbolting the subframe plate to install the derlin plate and bot 13mm bolts snapped, i let them sit in penetrating oil for a good hour and still no help!!

am i stuck drilling both them out and tapping or welding the plate back in

any help aprecitated !!

thanks

whiskychaser
01-01-2008, 12:20 AM
so yeah easy install...not...damn quebec

alright so as i said i was unbolting the subframe plate to install the derlin plate and bot 13mm bolts snapped, i let them sit in penetrating oil for a good hour and still no help!!

am i stuck drilling both them out and tapping or welding the plate back in

any help aprecitated !!

thanks
I'd be drilling a hole and trying a stud extractor. But carefully. Break the tip of one of those and you will need some good drills to get it out again. If that doesnt work or the threads in the hole are shot, tap new ones. Doing same job soon so will be aware of possible problem

wyze
01-01-2008, 03:10 AM
yeah stud extractor a no go tore the **** out of the bolt, gonna drill it tonight after i get some needed sleep

and rebuild the tranny/reinstall tranny damn 4hp22, lol
found that i'm also missing a stator pump bolt which explains why i kept losing tranny fluid but no leak at home, faking p/o pos

thanks!!

Ross
01-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Just drill 'em out. Forget the extractor, those $#&@#*s are rusted solid. If you've ever tried to drill a broken extractor you won't forget it.
You might get lucky while drilling if right on center with a drill just smaller than the bolt and have the remains break free of the threads enough to work out the now hollow bolt.

AngryPopTart
01-02-2008, 01:35 PM
This isn't something you could heat up with a torch, is it?

632 Regal
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
totally sux but i want a video

wyze
01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
yeah so drilled them out and tapped them to a m10x1.25 for something a little stronger, lol

thanks again!

you want a video of me torching my car? lol
ain't gonna happen anytime soon, hopefully

fin
01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
A two for one solution is to weld a nut onto the stubborn bolt. The heat of the welding will loosen the bolt and obviously you will have a new blued head on the bolt.

A friend has a bolt from a Caterpillar D6 that was broken an inch and a half into the hole (didn't find out how that was done?) anyway a ninja welder welded around the interior of the hole without touching the sides all the way to the top and then welded a nut on the end. Amazing to see that much welded up material on the rest of the nut. I'd guess that it was a one inch coarse thread bolt.

Going a size bigger is often necessary as most drill the broken bolt out off center or bounce the drill around the hole enough to cut it oversize.

Glad you got the bolts out.

Cheers,

Ned