PDA

View Full Version : Rear Air Vents = Vacuum Leak?

AngryPopTart
12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
The vent for the rear seats only blows cold, IIRC. Is this controled electrically or by vacuum lines? I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the erratic idle I still have to deal with. In any case, suggestions for fixing this?

Paul in NZ
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
i think its just outside air....

nirvana19
12-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I believe the rear vent is cold air only on all the cars.
Now that I think about it that doesn't make much sense since a cold person wouldn't want cold air being blown at them when the heater's on, but nonetheless thats what I recall from somewhere

Qsilver7
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Ditto...the vent at the rear of the center console only blows fresh air from outside or "conditioned" air when the AC is on.

Heat for the rear passengers comes from the vents in the floor beneath the front seats. In the winter, or when ambient temps are cool, you should close that vent.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_105_full.jpg

Qsilver7
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
This vent makes a LOT of sense...and gives some degree of control to the rear passengers. Again, if its cold outside, the vent can be closed...if the rear passengers get too warm from being in the sun etc...they can open the vent to temper the air without having to ask the driver to turn the hvac system down...OR...open a window.

The same control can be used anytime of year for rear passenger...like in the spring, summer or fall...fresh air or cooled air can supplement their riding experience without disturbing the driver. :)

AngryPopTart
12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, now I know whether or not there are ducts under the console.

nirvana19
12-31-2007, 06:35 AM
This vent makes a LOT of sense...and gives some degree of control to the rear passengers. Again, if its cold outside, the vent can be closed...if the rear passengers get too warm from being in the sun etc...they can open the vent to temper the air without having to ask the driver to turn the hvac system down...OR...open a window.

The same control can be used anytime of year for rear passenger...like in the spring, summer or fall...fresh air or cooled air can supplement their riding experience without disturbing the driver. :)

You're right, I never have rear passengers and forgot that that vent closes (why wouldn't it)

I shouldn't question the BMW engineers :p