PDA

View Full Version : :: Dinan Stage II software, e39

Qube
12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Brandon (and others), is it worth it for my 540? I figure if I'm running 91 octane already, might as well make the best of it?

Brandon J
12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Qube, I know you are excited about the 540, but please slow down and consider what you are buying. Please create a plan of what you want your car to be and why you want to get something.

Further knowledge or research or learning will tell you the limitations with OBDII. There is power to gain, but not as much as with an OBDI. I have the Dinan stg II and it is good for raising the rev limiter a little. a slightly quicker throttle response ('99+) and it is suppose to compliment an intake. Be very careful with choices for the intake as K&N types will mess with the MAF from the oil and others that stay in the engine bay will ingest hot air. Power is good. On my last post about the e39 I described what you whould do first. You already have a 4.4L V8 so the extra money should go to the suspension, brakes, tires. Thats it. Don't mess with the software as you need some other upgrades before that needs to be changed. You need to harness the power that is already there and then go for more power.

Jr ///M5
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Qube, please don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered using the funds you would spend on software and purchase a 3 day driving school. The school will teach you how to utilize the performance that is already in your BMW.

It's been said that most drivers only utilize 20% of what their car is capable of, with that in mind, most enthusiasts will further that gap by purchasing big brakes, high dollar suspensions, and other modifications that only widen the gap between the driver and the car.

Learn what that car can do in a controlled enviroment, I think you will be amazed. Not only that, but consider it an investment in yourself. Consider it being a software upgrade for yourself and everytime you get behind the wheel, the upgrade is already in place.

JR

filip00
12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
i also suggest if you take K/N filter or any other - you should build CAI - cold air intake...the idea is to make a wall between the filter and the engine bay.

it should look something like this:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/images/intake_jimc_car_lg.jpg

repenttokyo
12-30-2007, 01:03 PM
i also suggest if you take K/N filter or any other - you should build CAI - cold air intake...the idea is to make a wall between the filter and the engine bay.

it should look something like this:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/images/intake_jimc_car_lg.jpg

what material did you make your wall out of? it's important to make sure that it doesn't conduct heat.

repenttokyo
12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
The only reason I looked at the software is to take advantage of the 91 octane in use. Anything further for power than what's above is a waste with the slushbox.

i would disagree, with an auto box you need all the power you can get bc of the additional power than an auto eats. But if you mean you feel that your auto tranny is limiting the fun that you can have with any extra power, well, that's a judgment call. For something like drag racing, the auto is ideal, but for anything else other than bumper to bumper traffic, yeah, it blows.

Brandon J
12-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Brandon, on slowing down.. I have mapped out the things to do. I have to get it all in (ordered) before the new year because any extra income goes towards the baby to come... Literally :) Qube, that is awesome. Sounds good. BUt yea, the software isn't much, it does make a difference but the funds are better spent elsewhere. Since you are doing all these wonderful things, don't forget to get good tires when you can. My personal opinion, since the Michelins were designed for the long wheelbase, they work extremely well in torquey 540.

Oh, if you don't already have it, the best upgrade I did was purchasing the good ol' cupholder from Tec Accessories. ;) The M5 bumper is 2nd as the undertray is about 3/4 lower and is a nice sturdy piece so the bumper doesn't get caught on parking blocks. The undray allows the bumper to slide above the parking blocks like a sled.

Also, talk to us before making an exhaust mod. Some leave the sound to raspy, others rattle, others are just right, and some make you lose torque down low. So combinations of changing or deleting cats, resonator, and mufflers should be planned.

Qube
12-30-2007, 08:58 PM
No problem guys, always takes a few to knock some sense right :)

I have BMWCCA lined up for spring. That was something I missed last year, unfortunately.

I have a GruppeM CAI in already. No exhaust planned... As it will require new bumper or modification.

Suspension is on order. I have Billies coming to match the HnRs.

Brake on order as well for spring. Slotted. Wheels and tires are coming from the e34. Pads are same PBR ULTs.

Remember that I get this stuff for very cheap :)

The only reason I looked at the software is to take advantage of the 91 octane in use. Anything further for power than what's above is a waste with the slushbox.

Keep the comments coming! :)

Qube
12-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry. Short msgs from the Blackberry.

On that note, if all it really gives is a higher limiter and not much torque response, then there is no point. Going up to 6250 RPM is more than adequate, to say the least.

Qube
12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I believe it comes with the black steel(?) partitioning wall? Not certain. I'll let you know after UPS drops it off tomorrow. Looks good though for a CF intake.

Qube
12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Brandon, on slowing down.. I have mapped out the things to do. I have to get it all in (ordered) before the new year because any extra income goes towards the baby to come... Literally :)

PScalfano
12-31-2007, 01:24 AM
I bought my '00 540i/6 with Dinan exhaust, CAI, and software. I can't tell you what kind of gains the software provides because it was installed by the previous owner, but I do want to warn you about the CAI. I was looking through the maintenance records before purchase, and I saw one bit where it had been put in the shop for hesitating and dying in heavy rain. I experienced this over my Christmas travels when I went through some very heavy rain. The engine went into failsafe mode and shut off. I believe this has something to do with the Dinan CAI because it may have gotten some water in the intake. Be careful with CAIs, even expensive ones. Good luck.

hatched91
12-31-2007, 01:36 AM
i bought my car with the dinan software already installed, it's a 2000 540i. i've got dinan exhaust, intake, MAF sensor, and strut tower bars. i also have koni adjustable struts and adjustables sway bars....the performance gain from the engine is little, but the suspension change is unreal. it handles way, way better. i'd say money best spent is to go into the suspenion

Qube
12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
PScalfano, good point. Will take heed!

hatched (and BrandonJ), I won't forget about the sway bar suggestion :) I have one more day to spend money.

filip00
12-31-2007, 06:30 AM
2 repenttokyo - it's not a picture of my car.

you can make the firewall out of plastic and make a few layers, like one layer plastic, second one glasswool, and third one plastic again...and then just to make sure, use teflon or something else to wrap it around. the least problem is to make sure it doesn't conduct heat....it's harder to shape it and make it firm :)