PDA

View Full Version : What SHOULD a 535i starter sound like?

nirvana19
12-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I know this is sort of a strange request, but does anyone have a video or something showing what the starter should sound like. When my car was in for inspection (at a BMW indy shop) the mechanic said that my starter was loud and would need replacing. It is pretty loud, but I don't recall what the other 535s I test drove sounded like on startup.

My car also makes thats really loud high pitched squealing for a second or two. PO said it was the starter and he googled it years ago and found it was common for the car (honest guy, still friends with him). I've never seen ANY mention of it on this board though

borderchris
12-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Well, my '89 535i with 193,000 has the original in it, and, while quite reliable, is quite a clanger when starting. Kind of a metallic, clanging sound. Anyway, my indy advised me that this is normal flywheel to starter tooth wear, and unless you replace the flywheel too, it's a waste of money.

Chris

borderchris
12-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Oh... and, technically, the starter should be very quiet- most other early 90's 5's I listen to sound more "japanese" (kind of quick and electronic as opposed to big and metallic). Some healthy 535i's I've heard start on the first turn, and with basically no crank sound. Oh well...

myles
12-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Mine sounds very much like a newer BMW. I had the starter replaced cause the old one was shagged. And a new battery a year or so later made it sound even better.

Derek A.
12-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Mine is quiet. No Messerschmidt style starter sound happening. Start was replaced a few years ago and the flywheel is an e28 unit.

wjbell
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Funny, I just happen to have one.. from an idle post I was asking about a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFcRBpXUYA

e34m30SF
12-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Yup...that's what my starter sounds like. Same with my previous 89 535i. I've heard some 735i's that sound exactly the same, due to it being the same engine.

Torque
12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Mine sounds that way too. My m20 525 sounded pretty similar too.

nirvana19
12-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Eh mine doesn't sound quite like that, its a bit more.. metallic and slow (nearing time for a new battery) Exhaust is new, but my engine has fairly noisy valves (clack clack clack clack clack) and sounds like a truck. I think its time for a major engine tune-up.

And I've still never been able to figure out what that damn whoosh my car makes is. I posted months ago and there were a couple suggestions, but I'm not sure that anyone acutally knows what I'm talking about. I'll post a video later

///Sniper535
12-29-2007, 05:52 AM
My car sounds like the one in the vid. Is that the way it should sound?

nirvana19
12-29-2007, 07:20 AM
My car sounds like the one in the vid. Is that the way it should sound?

From what everyone else says, I think you're good

Ross
12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
All the BM sixes I've had sound like that too.

dennyg
12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a 89 535 and it sounds very much like metal. Sometimes makes a ping sound like a us car with a bendix. I thought the starter was bad but car only has 58k on the clock and I think its normal now from what everyone here says.

whiskychaser
12-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I dont have a 535. I have a 525. My guess is the starters sound the same-you shouldnt hear them! :)

wjbell
12-29-2007, 04:31 PM
You can't hear it in the video, but mine has the classic flywheel ring when starting. Doesn't do it all the time, but most of the time.

It's funny.. the other day I was at the market and heard that same starter 'shhing' and instantly thought 535 or 735. Turned around and there was a 735 backing out :)

That's just the way they sound with wear, I guess...

nirvana19
12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
You can't hear it in the video, but mine has the classic flywheel ring when starting. Doesn't do it all the time, but most of the time.

It's funny.. the other day I was at the market and heard that same starter 'shhing' and instantly thought 535 or 735. Turned around and there was a 735 backing out :)

That's just the way they sound with wear, I guess...

Yes! the shhhhing... whatever that is (i'm still not quite getting what it is). It is incredibly loud and terrifies anyone that gets in my car and especially people at gas stations because they think my car is about to explode when I start it. Not for a long time and not on a restart with warm engine but.. something to do with flywheel?

Paul in NZ
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
mine starter sounds quite fast and a little tinny,always cranks for a second or two then starts....its always the same delay,almost as though there is an interlock on the ignition till the fuel pressure is up....

Sam-Son
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
What SHOULD a 535i starter sound like?
shst hshk shshc shs...vroom vrom vromvroom vroom....

wjbell
12-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Yes! the shhhhing... whatever that is (i'm still not quite getting what it is). It is incredibly loud and terrifies anyone that gets in my car and especially people at gas stations because they think my car is about to explode when I start it. Not for a long time and not on a restart with warm engine but.. something to do with flywheel?

I'm guessing that it's play in between the starter gear and flywheel. And maybe when the engine starts the flywheel takes up that little bit of slack in the gears and strikes the other side of the gear before it has a chance to pull away.

Yours sounds like it could be worse than normal from your description and the PO saying it needed a starter.

icesoft
12-30-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm guessing that it's play in between the starter gear and flywheel. And maybe when the engine starts the flywheel takes up that little bit of slack in the gears and strikes the other side of the gear before it has a chance to pull away.

Yours sounds like it could be worse than normal from your description and the PO saying it needed a starter.

Mine sounded the same way until I put the manual trans and E24 flywheel in, then the 'ring' went away. I figured it's because the A/T flexplate is so thin vs. the heavy M/T flywheel...

Nick.Hay
12-30-2007, 02:41 PM
That start-up in the video is EXACTLY how mine sounds!!

Dad's 1989 525i doesn't have that metallic sound...

E34-520iSE
12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
That start-up in the video is EXACTLY how mine sounds!!

Dad's 1989 525i doesn't have that metallic sound...
My car sounds exactly the same too (M20B20).

Cheers,

Shaun M

nirvana19
12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Holy hell, my car sounds like absolute **** compared that first video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6RRa-W9n3I

(the starter is held longer than normal, the whirring is usually only for a moment). the next time I started it up there was no sound at all and the starter sounded like everyone elses, but my engine is still so damn loud. Is the clicking the injectors or do I need some serious valve adjustment. In any case, I'm going to do a major service on this thing. Does run fine though..

Sam-Son
12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorta off topic but all of a sudden my starter is now sounding a little weak. Could it just be because of the cold or am I gonna have to throw some money at it to make it go away?

nirvana19
01-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Sorta off topic but all of a sudden my starter is now sounding a little weak. Could it just be because of the cold or am I gonna have to throw some money at it to make it go away?

As for whether somethings wrong with your starter or not, I have no idea. If you want to throw money at it will probably be up to you, from what I've seen even the shittiest starters in these engines seem to reliably start the M30s. Or is that just me? I've been able to easily start the engine in 10 degree (fahrenheit) weather with a very low battery and the starter cranking no more than twice a second

aston_jag_tech
01-01-2008, 03:03 PM
I had a squealing starter. my car had 225k. The internal housing broke on mine. I replaced with a used one from a good resource. No problems.

Try this, disassemble it, inspect it. Replace is you have to. Try a little high temp lube if everything looks. ok.

If youre NOT going to do the physical work, pay up and let the tech correct the issue.