PDA

View Full Version : 1992 535i bad mpg and stalled

jjdickm
12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Okay so my car is running a bit weird. I am getting very poor fuel economy and today when the car was still a bit cold not at running temperature yet stalled from taking off at a light. I think the car is running too rich. It seems when its cold and I give it some gas it takes a nose dive and then gets moving. I also don't think it has that much power. Which why I believe it is running rich and not getting the correct air to fuel ratio. Anyways, I wanted to try to figure out how to correct that in my e34? The plugs are new and the wires are new the cap and rotor are new the fuel injectors have allot of miles on them but im not sure. I have no maintenance records, I just rebuilt the motor about 500 mles ago. The fuel that was in the car was really old and some may have run through the engine. Any help is appreciated.

whiskychaser
12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I am getting very poor fuel economy and today when the car was still a bit cold not at running temperature yet stalled from taking off at a light. I think the car is running too rich.
I would check for air leaks on intake side. They give you lumpy idle and **** mpg.

Jeff N.
12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Try the stomp test and see what codes you get.

I agree with Whiskey that air leaks seem possible.

Poor fuel economy can also be related to a non-functioning O2 sensor. Also check to see that your engine temp sensor is working; if it's not the car will never get out of the cold run cycle leading to poor drivability and poor mileage.

How has it run since the rebuild? What exactly did you rebuild? Ever run well since?

whiskychaser
12-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Just re-read your post. If you are not sure if your injectors are OK you can check them for leaks with engine off. Keep them plugged into the fuel rail but pull them out of the manifold. Jumper the fuel pump relay so it runs. If your injectors leak you found a problem. But look at Jeff's post first