PDA

View Full Version : It's finally time to say goodbye to my E34

Am Piobaire
12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
My trusty and valiant E34 dropped a timing belt tensioner in November which resulted in the timing belt falling off and munching up various bits of my engine. The quotes to get it fixed were quite high and I desperately needed a set of wheels, so I ended up buying a Series II Landrover Discovery.

With a new toy to play with, the enthusiasm for the E34 has waned considerably and the cost of getting it going again compared to the value of the car just isn't worth the effort. Currently sitting in my backyard with the head and other assorted engine pieces in the boot.

It's time for it to go, so if there are any Aussies out there who want an E34 for spares or even just bits - you know where to go!! I live in Newcastle.

cheers

Andrew

pundit
12-26-2007, 10:38 PM
...so I ended up buying a Series II Landrover Discovery...
TD5 or V8?
I've been contemplating a late 2001 - 2003 Series II TD5 but am concerned about reliability issues... especially with the electrics.
The V8's have zero resale due to being gas guzzlers.

Sam-Son
12-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the about the E34...timing belt issues make me love my M50 even more.
Congrats on the Disco II! I absolutely love them

Ross
12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
A Disco ,eh? You'll be back. The cost of fixing the E34 is going to look attractive after owning that LR for a while.

Jon K
12-27-2007, 07:35 AM
A Disco ,eh? You'll be back. The cost of fixing the E34 is going to look attractive after owning that LR for a while.

I will attest to this

CharlesAFerg
12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
TD5 or V8?
I've been contemplating a late 2001 - 2003 Series II TD5 but am concerned about reliability issues... especially with the electrics.
The V8's have zero resale due to being gas guzzlers.

How bad? I'm getting 13MPG in my E34 AVG light city driving.

CharlesAFerg
12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
My trusty and valiant E34 dropped a timing belt tensioner in November which resulted in the timing belt falling off and munching up various bits of my engine. The quotes to get it fixed were quite high and I desperately needed a set of wheels, so I ended up buying a Series II Landrover Discovery.

With a new toy to play with, the enthusiasm for the E34 has waned considerably and the cost of getting it going again compared to the value of the car just isn't worth the effort. Currently sitting in my backyard with the head and other assorted engine pieces in the boot.

It's time for it to go, so if there are any Aussies out there who want an E34 for spares or even just bits - you know where to go!! I live in Newcastle.

cheers

Andrew

NOOOO!!! If it's this:
http://www.simpsonmotors.com/used/Photos/r241922.jpg

STAY AWAY, I detailed one of those and it was the worst job I ever did. omg terrible.

Am Piobaire
12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, it's definitely a choice between English elegance and precision German engineering.

It's a V8 Disco and it absolutely sucks down the petrol - however, I knew that when I bought it and as for the reliability ... well, I have already replaced a window regulator - they are a very "hands on" type of vehicle and definitely high maintenance. But they are brilliant to drive and just as brilliant off road.

Having said the above, I will still miss my Beemer (sniff, sniff)

Andrew

mamilapon
12-28-2007, 09:13 AM

cheers

AndrewHey mate, got any tools in the boot tool kit?