PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leaks - any simple fix?

Dave M
12-25-2007, 01:08 PM
If its actually the join b/w the plastic and the rad, I'd be looing at another radiator. For the hastle of trying to fix it and potentially having it fail soon after, its worth the peace of mind to replace. This is coming from a very cheap guy that tries to fix everything.

We all know how long our head gaskets and engines last after an overhead.

Now, if its an o-ring off the expansion tank, you may have more luck with a repair. Have a look at the realoem_rad (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=17_0099&hg=17&fg=05) diagram.

Good luck wit it and merry christmas.

Dave M

infurno
12-25-2007, 02:48 PM
ya know, on the myth busters (tv show) they actually temporarily sealed a radiator leak with a raw egg.

Not sure if this could potentially damage an engine but I guess worth keeping in mind to get the car home.

Qube
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Dave hold... I have a full cooling rebuild kit I can get ya for near peanuts. It's a waste sitting here...

EDIT: Oh wait, it's not Dave, yer post is at the top because of the stupid time stamp. ARH! Hate this thing.

ivan
12-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi
The radiator on our '95 525i is leaking on the sealed interface (driver's side) between the plastic expansion tank and the aluminum radiator. This looks like a crimped seal between the two sections, where the aluminum tabs from the radiator are crimped over the plastic of the expansion tank (or something like that). Since this is in a visible and accessible area, is there a method to seal the leak? Over crimp? Use epoxy to seal it?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Don