PDA

View Full Version : i did some painting

timandbim
12-23-2007, 07:48 AM
as my time off work and all my spare time is coming to an end and i can't drive anywhere i decided to do a couple of touch ups this morning on some pieces i have at home- even though i suppose i should be xmas shopping- when is that happening again? i started taking pictures half way through- i thought they were pretty minor jobs to bother with photos but it's my first careful touch-up job ever so after a bit i thought what the heck.

here is the gas flap after i had already sanded down to metal and painted a few coats with a stick. the p/f/o had made an awful attempt before and you can see he sprayed paint everywhere.

timandbim
12-23-2007, 07:52 AM
i imagine having a schwarz coat makes things a whole lot easier. i used 1500 sandpaper -it took a few goes and then rubbed in a whack of cheap stuff. i'm not sure what to finish it with- whatever i use i'll want to use the same thing on the rest of the car.

it's not perfect but it turned out better than i thought it would.

timandbim
12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
old faithful- tremclad black- actually it looks pretty close to schwarz.

Jon K
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
should have just done the whole door

CharlesAFerg
12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
i imagine having a schwarz coat makes things a whole lot easier. i used 1500 sandpaper -it took a few goes and then rubbed in a whack of cheap stuff. i'm not sure what to finish it with- whatever i use i'll want to use the same thing on the rest of the car.

it's not perfect but it turned out better than i thought it would.

If you need suggestions on what compounds to use on the entire car, let me know.

timandbim
12-24-2007, 05:28 AM
should have just done the whole door

that's what i was going to do but i thought i'd practice touch-ups on the door before i moved on to the chips on the rest of the car. all the same it only took two 15 minute sittings and i used hardly any paint at all- not sure if doing the whole door would have been easier. i know it's amateur stuff but for some reason i thought this would be way more difficult.

Charles if my car makes it out of the shop this winter i'll be picking your brain in the summer- thanks.