PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Replacement

semiretired
12-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Well, my 91 525 with 251 thousand miles is hemeroging coolant.
Took it to the indy. He pressured up the system and sure as $hit, a small stream of coolant spurted out.

Ordered a Behr from BMA.

Was going to wait till the weather got warmer, but I'm having to replenish the resevoir every day now.

Checked my Bentelys. Doesn't look like too difficult job to do.

Got better things to do this weekend than change out a radiator. Yeah, I'm a last minute shopper:p

Super90
12-21-2007, 01:57 PM
It is easy to do in well under two hours. Get some new hold-down clips from the dealer as they usually shatter. I don't think I even pulled the fan, just remove the shroud and move it toward the motor and hang it on the fan. That was for my M60 motor, YMMV.

Also, put in new hoses while you are there, possibly a new t-stat and housing if plastic, and I do the water pump at the same time, since on the M60, all these parts fail within a year of each other. Ask me how I know. Good luck,

Tiger
12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
LOL... you too? Yep... first Radiator... then water pump and then finally thermostat housing!

Super90
12-21-2007, 04:53 PM
My failure order was, t-stat housing, then radiator, then water pump. I finally put an aluminum t-stat housing in last time around. Patrick and Yves have them for the M60. But, all the other items are on my "replace every five years" list. Don't toy with it, just follow the list, and you will have much more trouble-free driving.

I can do the whole list in about two hours if I have all the supplies on hand. Put a radiator in my friends 540i Sport in an hour and fifteen minutes, and that included a trip to the parts store !

The radiators break every five years, but man are they easy to swap out !

uscharalph
12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I bought a Nissens on eBay back in 07/2005. We replaced the radiator, hoses, belts, themostat and water pump all at the same time. Peace of mind is great knowing it's all taken care of.

Dave M
12-25-2007, 06:47 PM
How much did the Nissen costs you?
Don

Bought a nissen around the same time as uscharalph. BMA charged me ~$175. Not sure what they're charging these days, but its always best to call.

EDIT: I bought it in 2003.

Its been a solid rad.

Dave M.

ivan
12-26-2007, 01:47 AM
How much did the Nissen costs you?
Don

semiretired
12-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Finally got around to replacing the radiator.

Pretty easy job. Just disconnect transmission cooler lines, radiator hoses, two sensors and pull it out.

Must have got a bit of air in the system, though. Drained out close to a gallon of coolant, replaced about a gallon and half new juice.

Temp guage sits right up in the middle.

I'm calling it a success.