PDA

View Full Version : EAT Chip Tuning Question

gjmane36
12-18-2007, 12:03 AM
I recently found that my 540ia has a performance chip. I decided to test my speed limiter as confirmation of the chip. I took my foot off the gas as it approached 135 uphill and still easily picking up speed. :D I believe it is an EAT chip. It has always been very responsive, smooth idle, and with little pedal effort

My question is training the chip. With the ASC turned off by pressing the ASC button for 10 seconds, will this or does this re-tune the engine rev/hp.

Also does anyone know how much different the chip is for a non-us imports, verse a performance chip. Does the performance chip have an increase in hp and torque over the standard non-us chip?

bubba966
12-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Pressing the ASC button in for 10 seconds (so that the light is on the dash while you're holding the button in and then the light goes off after the 10 seconds) has nothing to do with the engine software. What it does do is turn the ASC throttle control off and leave the ASC brake control active. That way if you're on something slick (snow, gravel, etc) and don't want the ASC to cut the throttle back but still want it to apply the brake slightly to the wheel that's slipping you can set it to the 'secret' brake only mode with the 10 second ASC button hold.

Once you set the ASC to that mode it doesn't go back to regular mode until the car is turned off and re-started.

If you want the computer to re-learn your driving habits (training the chip) you need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected until the entire electrical system is fully discharged. That will erase the computer's memory and you can have it adjust itself to a more aggressive tune by going out and driving it rather aggressively for a few days.

632 Regal
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
or simply disconect the bulkhead for the DME for 30 seconds will do the trick

gjmane36
12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Pressing the ASC button in for 10 seconds (so that the light is on the dash while you're holding the button in and then the light goes off after the 10 seconds) has nothing to do with the engine software. What it does do is turn the ASC throttle control off and leave the ASC brake control active. That way if you're on something slick (snow, gravel, etc) and don't want the ASC to cut the throttle back but still want it to apply the brake slightly to the wheel that's slipping you can set it to the 'secret' brake only mode with the 10 second ASC button hold.

Once you set the ASC to that mode it doesn't go back to regular mode until the car is turned off and re-started.

If you want the computer to re-learn your driving habits (training the chip) you need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected until the entire electrical system is fully discharged. That will erase the computer's memory and you can have it adjust itself to a more aggressive tune by going out and driving it rather aggressively for a few days.

I appreciate you responding. So, using the "seceret" mode on the ASC will not retaing the chip because it is trained based on the driving type used when first installed.

One other question. Is the only difference in the standard US chip vs the chip for non US models the use of the speed limiter?

Pang
12-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I believe the Australian model is tuned for higher octane petrol than the US version.The octane level being 95 RON.I have a performance chip which is turned for 98 RON.

kev535i
12-24-2007, 11:22 AM
no difference - all performance chips need a higher octane fuel - i have an eat chip and was running 98ron but have switched to 95ron with no difference to performance. to calculate aus to us fuel values subtract 4

BigKriss
12-25-2007, 02:50 PM
i've even tried tried 91ron with no ill effects so far.

no difference - all performance chips need a higher octane fuel - i have an eat chip and was running 98ron but have switched to 95ron with no difference to performance. to calculate aus to us fuel values subtract 4