PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open Driver's Door from Inside

dave b
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I guess I have been hitting the gym too hard lately.....

When I tried to get out of my car last night, the interior door handle gave way - no resistance any more, and the door doesn't open. It feels as though something gave way in the interior of the door panel, almost like a rubber band snapping. The door still opens fine from the outside.

I'll probably bring it by the shop this weekend (and will open the door from the outside for the time being), but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

thanks,
db

repenttokyo
12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
there is rod with a hook on the inside of the door that is attached to the door latch. This is what connects your door handle to the latch. Remove the door panel and you can reconnect the hook.

dave b
12-16-2007, 03:11 PM
there is rod with a hook on the inside of the door that is attached to the door latch. This is what connects your door handle to the latch. Remove the door panel and you can reconnect the hook.

That's what it feels like happened. How difficult is it to remove the panel? Harder or easier than replacing a microfilter.......

thanks!

db

repenttokyo
12-16-2007, 04:03 PM
That's what it feels like happened. How difficult is it to remove the panel? Harder or easier than replacing a microfilter.......

thanks!

db

I actually replaced the microfilter in september, coincidentally - so in comparison, taking off the door panel is much easier, it's really just a matter of removing the screws, and then pulling the panel up and off. I also had to remove it when my window fell off the guides in the spring, it gets easier each time you do it - but it's really not a hassle at all.

///Sniper535
12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Excellent write up here on that:

http://bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Body/DoorRemoval.htm

Dave M
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM

thanks!

db

From what I've heard about micofilter replacement (my car is not equipped), pulling the door panel is three-layer cake walk. Its been a while, but I'll try to remember. OR, its in the Bentley.

Remove the little black plastic insert that covers the screw behind the latch, then remove the screw.

Remove the plastic cover on the interior handle, then remove the screw (use a very small screwdriver and be somewhat carefull as you can damage the cover).

Remove the mirror adjuster. I believe you just pull it out and disconnect it.

Remove the 'tweeter' (speaker). I think there are small black screws (or a single screw) hidden somewhere, you'll figure it out.

Now start at the bottom of the door and tug at the panel to 'pop' out a few lastic clips. Continnue around the door until you feel you've got all the clips out. The top and middle will still feel attached. You need to pull up (sometimes pretty hard) to get it removed. You'll understand why when you see the clip in the middle of the door that keeps things secure. Note how it is oriented for installation.

Dave M

Dave M
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Excellent write up here on that:

http://bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Body/DoorRemoval.htm

Or you can just take Snipers advice and read e34.net's write up :D. Forgot that was out there.

Dave M

dave b
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all of the help...

I'm going to tackle it this weekend. Until then, I will play Dukes of Hazard...

db

winfred
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
either the rubber grommet that holds the hook in the handle crumbled dumping the hook or the cable snapped (no rod, bicycle looken cable)

Bob in San Jose
12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
The write up on the bmwe34.net site is not clear on the screw behind the interior door handle. You must remove the small plastic cover by prying it off with a small screwdriver and then remove the screw.
The screw is shown in the first picture but no mention is made of it.

dave b
12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
either the rubber grommet that holds the hook in the handle crumbled dumping the hook or the cable snapped (no rod, bicycle looken cable)

I'm thinking a little here. Are the cables and grommets the same in all the doors? I might just remove one from the rear passenger seats. They never get used anyways. Could save a trip to BMA...

db

///Sniper535
12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
i don't know about the cables but RealOEM.com is your best friend. I lost one of the rubber grommets for my pass. door and just used layers or vinyl tape as a substitute and it worked! lol

winfred
12-18-2007, 12:19 AM
i can't remember if they are the same length, some are shorter

I'm thinking a little here. Are the cables and grommets the same in all the doors? I might just remove one from the rear passenger seats. They never get used anyways. Could save a trip to BMA...

db

Jon K
12-18-2007, 02:35 AM
If you took the door apart and removed the cable, then installed it on the other door, you will KILL yourself. Its a bitch to get to. If your other door is not broken, don't remove the cable. Buy the $12 bowden cable - I did this in my school parking lot. It wasn't fun, but I did it.