PDA

View Full Version : rewiring foglamps?

jplacson
05-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Ok, my E34 foglamps came factory wired to turn on only when the low beams are on. I want them on once the park lights are switched on. How easy is it to do this? Is it accessible from the engine bay? Or do I have to remove the dash/cluster just to do this?

jplacson
05-19-2004, 11:29 AM
On that note as well... is there anyway to clean to foglamp lens? I've been trying to look to see if I can remove the lens, but I can't seem to find any screws or clips to unlatch.

Jason
05-19-2004, 11:47 AM
you will get the whole light out and you can take it apart from there, i dont recall if the lens itself is replaceable

Jason
05-19-2004, 11:49 AM
the covers are toward the center of the car, there are two, one next to each light, and they fold down

jplacson
05-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Oh, ya I did that already... I was looking at the assembly, and was wondering if the lens was removeable... I don't wanna try to pry stuff apart only to find out that I broke a seal or something that can't be replaced :P Thanks for your help anyway! :)

Jeff C
05-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Not sure but for what its worth ....on the euro models you can turn on the hi/lo and foglights at the same time. On my car (in canada) I can turn the foglights on with the parking lights or with low beam but not with hi beam.

For me to get all the lights on was a matter of replacing the LKM to a euro version. Don't know if you would want to go that route - may be expensive to replace the lkm. But you could find a used euro one on ebay.de.

As to replacing the lens - I think you would need to heat up the plastic and gently pry apart the seals - possibly causing further problems with leakage or condensation when you reseal them. You could also remove the assemblies and using long q-tips clean the lens from the inside? or....use soapy water, rinse out thoroughly follow with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to prevent water spots (these last two evaporate faster then water - less chance of spotting especially with the acetone/nail polsh remover) and then hope for the best. I tried this lst method on my headlights - worked but I had issues with condensation after YMMV. If repeated multiple times the alcohol/acetone would likely dry out the seals.

I have also seen foglight replacement lenses on ebay - just fyi (acrylic I think)

good luck

jeff

jplacson
05-19-2004, 09:59 PM
THANKS! I do have the Euro LKM. I can have all lights on, but I also wanted to have my fogs come on with the park lights. Will ask a shop if it's possible on the Euro one. Thanks for the tip on the q-tip! (pun intended) hehe... will try that one today.

winfred
05-19-2004, 10:04 PM
must be a euro thing, all of the usa cars i've worked on (my 535 included) the fogs come on with the parks, that's how i drive in the rain and when it's not quite dark enough for regular low beams

Ok, my E34 foglamps came factory wired to turn on only when the low beams are on. I want them on once the park lights are switched on. How easy is it to do this? Is it accessible from the engine bay? Or do I have to remove the dash/cluster just to do this?

Mr Project
05-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah, mine allows the fogs to be turned on with the parking lights as well. Stock US-spec AFAIK.