PDA

View Full Version : 95' 540i/6 flywheel and clutch options?

paintpro21
12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I picked up a 95' 540i/6 6 months ago. It's at about 140k miles now and even at the pre-purchase inspection my mechanic noted that the car would eventually need a clutch. I'm having to modulate the clutch a lot, and it just feels nothing like my M3, so it's time to replace it.

I see very few options out there for the 540 let alone the 6 speed when it comes to aftermarket parts. I have to do the suspension as well and I'll be installing koni's and either Eibach springs or H&R springs. But right now the weight of the flwheel is what is bugging me the most. Searching around on these boards I found people mentioning e28 flywheels but I can't tell if that was a recomendation for 535's or for 540i. I couldn't always tell what car people owned when they created a thread, so I'm a bit confused.

for those of you with a 6 speed 540, what are you doing when it comes to replacing the clutch and flywheel?

Thanks,

-Eddy

Antrieb
12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
e39 m5 clutch

Derek A.
12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
UUC has a setup but its about $2400. Uses the v12 clutch setup from an 850csi

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

paintpro21
12-16-2007, 08:29 PM
UUC has a setup but its about $2400. Uses the v12 clutch setup from an 850csi

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

that clutch is being listed for the e39, so all the 6 speed e39's share the same tranny as the e34 6 speed? the $2400 isn't much of an option. so I guess I'll just have to stay with the stock flywheel and hope it doesn't need to be replaced due to wear.

paintpro21
12-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Stock OE. I looked into lightened flywheel but was informed by Clutchmasters resellers at Bimmerworld.com they invariably shake in neutral. Also looked into kevlar clutch plates and was told they grip well but wear out faster and eat up the flywheel thus may be great for racing but not for your daily driver. There was no better replacemnt for the 540/6 than original replacment parts. I had it done for apx $2,000.00

by shake do you mean chatter? or do you mean shake the car like when you have an intake vacume leak?

MaloventEvil
12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
by shake do you mean chatter? or do you mean shake the car like when you have an intake vacume leak?

they slightly chatter in neutral.

check out this one

http://www.jbracing.com/flywheel-bmw4.php#e34models

i've heard good things from E34nication about it. if you do get it, i must try it :D (so that i can convince myself to get one)

Jehu
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Stock OE. I looked into lightened flywheel but was informed by Clutchmasters resellers at Bimmerworld.com they invariably shake in neutral. Also looked into kevlar clutch plates and was told they grip well but wear out faster and eat up the flywheel thus may be great for racing but not for your daily driver. There was no better replacemnt for the 540/6 than original replacment parts. I had it done for apx $2,000.00

yaofeng
12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Stock. I did when I converted mine to 6 speed. Remember to not lock-tite the flywheel bolts or you may have trouble removing them the next time. If there is a next time. The 540 crankshaft rear flange design is different than the traditional as we know. The fly wheel bolt holes on the rear flange of the crank shaft do not ponetrate the flange so there is no concern of the engine oil seeping through the hole as in the traditional design. BMW recommend to oil the bolts brfore installing.