PDA

View Full Version : Sach Suspension Kit is Done

EngPhys09
12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Well after 2 grueling days and taking apart and putting back together each strut 3 times its done! And what a difference!

Basically everything went wrong with the kit and it needed a lot more custom fab work then i expected. Many little problems with just silly little things were the biggest head ache.

Never the less its done, and what a difference it makes! The car is so much easier to control and drives soo much better than the stock step. Mind you all the original shocks were shot.
Driving in the winter on snowy roads it seems much more planted.
Can't wait until i get some RD bars, brakes, and rims!

Brandon J
12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
What fab work did you have to do?

EngPhys09
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I bought a bunch of bump stop plates from BMW and of course they don't work with the Sach kit so i had to make them work.

It wasn't too much fab work just stuff I wasn't expecting to happened needed to be done.

uscharalph
12-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the club. LOL!!!

e34.535i.sport
12-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey there can I ask where you got them from and how much for the full set?!

Brandon J
12-15-2007, 06:45 AM
I bought a bunch of bump stop plates from BMW and of course they don't work with the Sach kit so i had to make them work.

It wasn't too much fab work just stuff I wasn't expecting to happened needed to be done.
Bump stop plates? Did you mean bump stops, spring pads, strut mounts, or something else? Or did you buy the wrong parts?

The rear lower spring pads are not used in the Sachs kit. The upper pads go on just like it was, pretty much everything else is a direct swap.

EngPhys09
12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey there can I ask where you got them from and how much for the full set?!

BMA, Something like 700$ a little less i think.
Took 6 weeks to get them though :( Not sure if i would order through them again.

EngPhys09
12-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Bump stop plates? Did you mean bump stops, spring pads, strut mounts, or something else? Or did you buy the wrong parts?

The rear lower spring pads are not used in the Sachs kit. The upper pads go on just like it was, pretty much everything else is a direct swap.

I'm talking the front bump stop plate, and washer were not the correct size. The Sach kit is a larger tube therefore the BMW pieces i ordered needed to be drilled.

Regarding the rears. I know it was said not to use the lower spring pads, however I did. Made more sense too and have not problems with them in.

Brandon J
12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm talking the front bump stop plate, and washer were not the correct size. The Sach kit is a larger tube therefore the BMW pieces i ordered needed to be drilled.

Regarding the rears. I know it was said not to use the lower spring pads, however I did. Made more sense too and have not problems with them in.
Ah, so you are talking about the strut mount. Well, one of 2 things, you were sent the wrong strut mount, or the wrong shocks in the kit for your application. There are different sizes for the strut rod and sometimes the sachs kit will come with the thinner rod and have available spacers, a tube like spacer that goes over the strut rod, to fit a larger hole in the strut mount. So, onr of the two were incorrect.

I have been using the Sachs kit without the rear lower spring pad for over 5 years now. There aren't any noises or increased vibrations. Also, since the spring seat of the sachs is not made for the stock lower spring pad, the pad is a problem. There isn's as much area on the Sachs rear lower spring seat to effectively support the BMW spring pad. This means the pad will wear out faster and the spring can potentially not sit well in the spring seat. The kit is designed for a reason and with all the kits out there, there have been no issues with the rear spring seat as far as I know. I see no need to change Sach's tried and tested design.