PDA

View Full Version : /// M O T O R S P O R T ? ? ?

saintlucifa
05-19-2004, 02:29 AM
I recently bought an '88 535i. Later I was informed that this was a "Motorsport" version due to the "M" badges on grill and on boot (trunk) but I know that people re-badge their BMW's to appear as though they are Motorsports.

Is there any easy way to confirm whether or not mine is a genuine Motorsport?
(I used the VIN de-coder on this site, but there ws no reference to Motorsport there)

Thanks
saintlucifa - New Zealand

Unregistered
05-19-2004, 04:45 AM
The only genuine "Motorsport" E34 5 series cars are the M5 which have the WBS VIN prefix. The Canadian only M540i and US only 540iSport are also considered to be Motorsport models but as far as I know do not carry the WBS prefix.

Some markets got a Sport version of the 525i and 535i, which had a M-tech body kit, suspension, LSD, sports seats, metric wheels etc. I don't think these can really be considered Motorsport versions as such.

If yours is a 535i then it most likely is a Sport, sport seats and the M5 body kit are the most obvious give away, does it have these??

post some pics if you can, always keen to see E34s, M5s or not :)

Jeff N.
05-19-2004, 05:23 AM
good luck..

http://www.m535i.org/

rickm
05-19-2004, 06:21 AM
I saw an E39 "M5" the other day. That single tailpipe gave it away. :P

DueyT
05-19-2004, 11:55 AM
I saw an E39 "M5" the other day. That single tailpipe gave it away. :P
Yeah, as opposed to those four ugly chrome tips used all for show, no go!;)

It always makes me wonder why someone would badge a fake ///M...don't they figure someone would ask them to pop the hood and count throttle bodies?:D

mholbrook
05-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Open the hood....six throttle bodies....yes..."M"

rickm
05-19-2004, 12:04 PM
My wife looked at it and said "that's what you want". I said "that's what I have...look at the lack of tailpipes...there should be 4 tips". She said "ah, he's a poseur". The mrs called that one on the money. :) I wonder if it had an automatic or not. :)

TimGinCentralNJ
05-19-2004, 12:25 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/E28_m5_images/engine+bay+closeup.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rgds,
Tim G
'91 535iM
ex-'88 M5
ex-'88 535is
ex-'87 535is

I recently bought an '88 535i. Later I was informed that this was a "Motorsport" version due to the "M" badges on grill and on boot (trunk) but I know that people re-badge their BMW's to appear as though they are Motorsports.

Is there any easy way to confirm whether or not mine is a genuine Motorsport?
(I used the VIN de-coder on this site, but there ws no reference to Motorsport there)

Thanks
saintlucifa - New Zealand

shragon
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
good luck..

http://www.m535i.org/
actually his would be an e34 since the rest of the world got the e34 in 1988. so this link wouldn't apply.

saintlucifa
05-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies and links. I tried to post on here last night, but it didn't seem to make it onto the site.

I also have a friend with an '89 535i Motorsport. He too believes that there are two versions of genuine "Motorsport" 535i. There are the likes of ours, which are basically 535i's with some Motorsport upgrades like susension, body kit, exhaust, interior diffences etc. I was told by a BMW technician that he believes that an obvious sign suggesting ones car is a motorsport is that the engine is black, and not aluminium coloured.
Then there are M5's. The real deal spiel. I'm told they are both motorsports, but the M5 is the Master car, the pedigree template for lesser Motorsport versions fitted with high performance "M-Power" engine (3.6 & 3.8)

Another obvious difference is that one is badged ///M and the other ///M5.
I sure do want to clear this up (LOL).

I most definately would never suggest my car is an M5. I only wish.
ps: How to post pics of my car in here?

Deke NorCal
05-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I seen an e39 M5 with Alpina Turbo emblems on the back of it.. The guy wouldn't get off the cell phone long enough to answer any questions about his car :(

95-540iLE
05-19-2004, 11:12 PM
From what you say, it sounds to me like you have an E28 M535i. If you post pics, it will clarify all.

But if you go to the following site and look at the FAQ section, you will find detailed info on the differences between an E28 M535i and an E28 M5. You will also be able to look at pics on the gallery section and to register your car (once you clarify exactly what it is!).

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/index.php

Good luck.

I seen an e39 M5 with Alpina Turbo emblems on the back of it.. The guy wouldn't get off the cell phone long enough to answer any questions about his car :(

shragon
05-19-2004, 11:50 PM
ps: How to post pics of my car in here?

click...
> post reply
> manage attachments
...follow rest of directions

bimmerd00d
05-20-2004, 12:24 AM
assuming you aren't in the US......you can have an E34 535i from '88, with the MTech body upgrades, and possibly the suspension as well. You would know if you had a real M5, b/c it'd haul ass:) The guy who helped me replace my springs on my E34 had a 1989 535i with the MTech body kit that was installed at the factory, but it's just a normal 535i automatic other than that.

saintlucifa
05-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Hmmm this site doesn't allow for larger higher quality photo's. So, sorry, this is the best I can do.

saintlucifa
05-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Sorry, mine is definately an E34 (July 1988)

Mr Project
05-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Well, that is a regular M30 engine for sure. No S38 (///M5 powerplant) under that hood.

Soooo, yeah. Factory M-Tech kitted 535i (I don't know if that's the M-tech kit or not), or possibly just a 535 that a PO put some badges and a kit on.

TimGinCentralNJ
05-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Well, that is a regular M30 engine for sure. No S38 (///M5 powerplant) under that hood.

Soooo, yeah. Factory M-Tech kitted 535i (I don't know if that's the M-tech kit or not), or possibly just a 535 that a PO put some badges and a kit on.

saintlucifa
05-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I already knew it wasn't an M5. Hell I would have had to pay more than tripple the price and would be out driving it instead of posting here LOL). I also know that it does not have a high performance engine/trans. The badgework doesnt try to imply this car to be an M5 (grill badge has M the lightblue/darkblue/red - boot/trunk badge has M then darkblue/lightblue/white - This seems to be a comon theme on NZ Motorsport 535i's). The badge work only implies that it has been handled by Motorsport division to some degree. I have had mine parked up next to a friends 535i Motorsport (not M5 - but body and suspension by motorsport) and both cars sit at same height.
My guess is (and always has been, but wanting confirmation) that mine is a 535i which had Motorsport suspension and body parts added to it from the factory. Kind of a factory immitation of the M5 for poor people. The reason I'm asking on here is because I don't want to seem a tosser by calling my car a motorsport, when in fact it has no relationship to Motorsport at all.
None-the-less, I will enjoy my 535i.
Thanks People

shragon
05-20-2004, 01:12 PM

actually that looks like a racing dynamics front spoiler.

Mr Project
05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks, Rob, I'm not up on body kits. I'd be hesitant to call it a Motorsport car, since it kinda looks more like a 'PO-Sport' car. Why worry so much about it? I'd just pull the ///M badges off and enjoy a wonderful car! It's obviously had some attention and money spent on it, looks like a great car!

Unregistered
05-20-2004, 05:06 PM
The badge work only implies that it has been handled by Motorsport division to some degree.My guess is (and always has been, but wanting confirmation) that mine is a 535i which had Motorsport suspension and body parts added to it from the factory. Kind of a factory immitation of the M5 for poor people.

Sorry dude but it's not a Motorsport. New Zealand did though get a E34 535iS (as in Sport not Motorsport, in the same way as you can now get most new BMWs with a 'Sport' package) which had the M-Tech body kit, sports suspension, sports seats and an LSD etc. If yours is one of these its had the body kit taken off at some stage, it seems to have a stock front bumper with the front lip added?? Do you have any pics of the seats? You could also jack the rear up and try spinning a wheel to see if it has an LSD.

But any 535i is still an awesome car!

P.S are those racing dynamics wheels as well?

Paul in NZ
05-21-2004, 04:27 AM
it seems that every body with a 535 manual in NZ has had a //M badge on it,See what adorned the front and rear of my car when i bought it...the same badges that adorned the front and rear of the 535 manual i drove b4 i bought this one.....There was a batch of 535i manuals that were highly specced with the large metric wheels, electric recaros,mtech body kit,mtech suspension kit lsd (maybe with a slightly lower rattio) mtech steering wheel...very close to actual sports but they werent actually badged as sports...kinda like this one.
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/rear1.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/front-on.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/front%20seat.jpg

saintlucifa
05-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi again. Well thanks for all your input people. I feel better off nearly knowing what the story is with my BMW. I feel about 70% sure that it is not a Motorsport now (LOL) perhaps just hanging onto the concept of having something just a little bit special. I will do some more research over the next little while, and will consider removing the badge-work. I kinda like the look of them on the car, but have always frowned upon imitation re-badging which takes real credit away from the real-deal cars. -
I guess that this means that I will have to spend some money on this car to make it into something special for myself. -
Yes the front spoiler is a RACING DYNAMICS item as are the wheels (8x17's front 9x17's rear). The boot/trunk spoiler is a New Zealand made item with LED stop lamp built in. Windows are tinted all round to 35% (NZ legal limit). It has a reasonably nice MOMO steering wheel fitted also (very nice to drive with, but blocks the highbeam indicator and top part of speedodemeter out of my view). -
So the journey begins :)