PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used glass.net?

Rick L
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I accidentally cracked my windshield changing wiper blades. :( Don't ask... The wiper arm snapped back and crack! Anyway, I saw glass.net online and requested for a replacement windshield. This website shops for local auto glass installers and give you a quote within a minute. I got a quote for $214 (includes replacement windshield, labor, and they even come out to you for replacement). That price and service seemed to be great! Just wondering if anyone used the service before?

repenttokyo
12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
don't feel bad - i did exactly the same thing in october - exactly the same thing.

Rick L
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks! I guess I feel little better that I'm not the only one who cracked a windshield changing wiper blades. :p

don't feel bad - i did exactly the same thing in october - exactly the same thing.

Russell
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Advance Auto did it to my car. Cost them over $500 for a new BMW windshield installed.

Al Gray
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I accidentally cracked my windshield changing wiper blades. :( Don't ask... The wiper arm snapped back and crack! Anyway, I saw glass.net online and requested for a replacement windshield. This website shops for local auto glass installers and give you a quote within a minute. I got a quote for $214 (includes replacement windshield, labor, and they even come out to you for replacement). That price and service seemed to be great! Just wondering if anyone used the service before?

The same thing happened to me changing the windshield wiper blades. It was about a $250 mistake. After the initial barrage of profanities I got over it and called a local car glass company that my local BMW dealer recommneds. They did a great job about 3 years ago. This summer while working on the car I accidentally bumped the rear view mirrow and it popped off the glass. As I was trying to pop it back on I pushed to hard and cracked the windshield again. After the barrage of profanity I called the same glass company and they installed new glas for about $280. Not the BMW factory glass (that would have been over $500) but glass that was just as good. Hey, the car has almost 200,000 miles on it. It works for me.

timandbim
12-11-2007, 03:12 AM

i bought mine with a windshield crack that is still ok (legal i think/hope), but not repairable. for future reference i got a quote at Lebeau for around $500 but i plan to do a bit more shopping around when the time comes...

ThoreauHD
12-11-2007, 04:10 AM
I replaced mine through an online company. I don't recall if it was glass.net, but it was similar. 200 bucks is what I paid for it. A bitter guy in a van comes to your house and replaces it. Be nice to him so he seals it thoroughly. The glass has held up well. Mine has light green tint at the top. Getting original bmw glass is swell, but.. why. It's glass.

Russell
12-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Beg to differ. Some cheap glass is thinner, does not fit well and/or optically distorted. Safelight here in the US is known to have all the defects. On our cars, the windshield is a structural component and must be adhered properly to the body.

repenttokyo
12-11-2007, 05:59 AM
i bought mine with a windshield crack that is still ok (legal i think/hope), but not repairable. for future reference i got a quote at Lebeau for around $500 but i plan to do a bit more shopping around when the time comes...

I replaced mine for 600, tax included at lebeau, and the did a decent job - they reused the old trim, tho, so I have wind noise now. Next time, I will get new window trim when it's done.

Rick L
12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Just had it replaced and $214 total cost. The tech came out to my work and replaced the windshield in ~45 minutes. It's not BMW original but PBG brand. Nice fit and looks like he also installed new trim (not really sure but looks new). They gave me lifetime water and air leak warranty. On my drive home in the expressway at 75 M.P.H., I did hear some wind noise. I'm not sure it's coming from the tape that's still on the windshield or not (told me to leave that on for 24 hours). Only question is that will the seal set correctly in this cold weather? But so far so good.

repenttokyo
02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
As an update: I had Pilkington glass installed in my car in November. 3 months later it looks like ass- all eaten up by little rocks. So many pits. I am extremely disappointed.

repenttokyo
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM
that sucks, can your warranty do anything about that? - thanks for posting that, i was going to get my glass done there - guess i'll try to find a different brand. i'm actually wondering if i'd be better off pulling one off a scrapped car, i've seen a few around lately that still have the windshield with no cracks, although i didn't think to have a closer look at the time.

I had a 10 minute argument with the manager at Lebeau today, as apparently the 3 year warranty only covers cracks, not crappy, pitted glass or chips of any size. I am extremely disappointed and trying to figure out my next move.

timandbim
02-18-2008, 08:47 PM
As an update: I had Pilkington glass installed in my car in November. 3 months later it looks like ass- all eaten up by little rocks. So many pits. I am extremely disappointed.that sucks, can your warranty do anything about that? - thanks for posting that, i was going to get my glass done there - guess i'll try to find a different brand. i'm actually wondering if i'd be better off pulling one off a scrapped car, i've seen a few around lately that still have the windshield with no cracks, although i didn't think to have a closer look at the time.

Tiger
02-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I thought the warranty covers workmanship quality... if the glass is of poor quality... then it should be warranteed... I would call up Pinkington directly and see if they can do anything about it. 3 months is rediculous. How many miles in 3 month?

I'd probably threaten them with state consumer affair and NTHSA filing... which might launch an investigation into the company. But offer them a chance to make good with you before you do so. I would do it writing directly to manufacturer. First letter say casually that you want it replaced and offer them to look at your windshield for evidence... send a copy of your invoice. Send it traceble... priority or certified... If nothing in 2 weeks, then do it again and threaten them that they ignored your letter and you will file a small claim against them... which it will require them to hire their corporate lawyer at usual $250 an hour... even if they win... will cost them at least $500 or so of lawyer bill... Even if they didn't send a lawyer to the court... Judge will default in your favor and still cost them money... but if they just resolve it now with you with new windshield if your choice... would save them money.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 07:20 AM
For 200 bucks you will get an El Sucko windshield.
PM sent
EDIT, sorry too late.

paid 600 CAD for mine.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 07:21 AM
I thought the warranty covers workmanship quality... if the glass is of poor quality... then it should be warranteed... I would call up Pinkington directly and see if they can do anything about it. 3 months is rediculous. How many miles in 3 month?

I'd probably threaten them with state consumer affair and NTHSA filing... which might launch an investigation into the company. But offer them a chance to make good with you before you do so. I would do it writing directly to manufacturer. First letter say casually that you want it replaced and offer them to look at your windshield for evidence... send a copy of your invoice. Send it traceble... priority or certified... If nothing in 2 weeks, then do it again and threaten them that they ignored your letter and you will file a small claim against them... which it will require them to hire their corporate lawyer at usual $250 an hour... even if they win... will cost them at least $500 or so of lawyer bill... Even if they didn't send a lawyer to the court... Judge will default in your favor and still cost them money... but if they just resolve it now with you with new windshield if your choice... would save them money.

i'm not in the US, but we do have good consumer protection here. I'd say 5000 km's since the windshield was installed. I like the idea of writing directly to the manufacturer, that is something I had not considered.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 07:23 AM
BMW molding are retained by clips attatched to the glass, not the body. These often break on removal and are not supplied with aftermarket glass.
Unless you use OE glass the installer will use LOTS of caulk to retain the moldings( there was bits of tape holding them on when you got the car back, right. With instructions to leave it in place for a day.) This not only clogs the drainage passage around the glass breeding rust it often also puts the moldings up in the airstream causing the noise.
There are no aftermarket moldings available so the dealer is the only place to get them and if it's an insurance job they throw a fit about paying for them.
A proper BM windshield job includes the clips, which are not to my knowledge sold seperately and new moldings.

the installer re-used all of the clips and the old molding, but the molding had retracted and cracked with age so I have some noise. there was no tape or anything like that when I got the car back.

Tiger
02-19-2008, 07:49 AM
That's really pricy for the windshileld you got... When I got my MB diesel, it came with that windshield as previous owner replaced it... had a bulleye and winshield not so good... but I don't know the age of it. I replaced it with Safelite glass...

I am not sure if I like Safelite glass... seems to but sort of like magnefying glass...

Ross
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
For 200 bucks you will get an El Sucko windshield.
PM sent
EDIT, sorry too late.

Ross
02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
BMW molding are retained by clips attatched to the glass, not the body. These often break on removal and are not supplied with aftermarket glass.
Unless you use OE glass the installer will use LOTS of caulk to retain the moldings( there was bits of tape holding them on when you got the car back, right. With instructions to leave it in place for a day.) This not only clogs the drainage passage around the glass breeding rust it often also puts the moldings up in the airstream causing the noise.
There are no aftermarket moldings available so the dealer is the only place to get them and if it's an insurance job they throw a fit about paying for them.
A proper BM windshield job includes the clips, which are not to my knowledge sold seperately and new moldings.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
That's really pricy for the windshileld you got... When I got my MB diesel, it came with that windshield as previous owner replaced it... had a bulleye and winshield not so good... but I don't know the age of it. I replaced it with Safelite glass...

I am not sure if I like Safelite glass... seems to but sort of like magnefying glass...

it definitely was pricey. I know what you mean re: magnifying glass - I have some of that distortion too at the extreme lower edges of the Pilkington.

Ross - thanks for the price update. Strong chance I will be moving to the US this summer for a few years, so I will most likely defer replacement until I am down there.

Ross
02-19-2008, 03:42 PM
BMW list in the U.S.A. is ~$400 plus the moldings, trade price is 15-20% or so off that. I don't know how much for installation as my ins. co pays, not without a fight.