PDA

View Full Version : Door Latch won't close?

Barney Paull-Edwards
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Rope the front doors together by the door pulls and get out the back,press lock,voila!

RobPatt
12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
...was a bad/broken spring in the latching mechanism... got a new latch mech from like bav auto recycling or something...

took the door panel off... took out the BIG honkin screw in the door jamb side of the door.... was then able to replace...

something like the spring and latch that should catch when closing the door didn't...got lazy on me.

kinda odd it'd happen on a door not used too much though... good luck.

not saying my problem was is what yours is... so good luck.

This just happened. The latch on the rear driver's side won't cacth to close thus LOCK. It is so cold here and dropping tonight I just want to know if its probably a cable or connector or spring popped off I could readily reconnect allowing me to do it relatively swiftly after taking the door panel off. I won't even start it tonight if its too involved and just stay up all night guarding it..lol...no seriously I won't be able to sleep.

Jehu
12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
This just happened. The latch on the rear driver's side won't cacth to close thus LOCK. It is so cold here and dropping tonight I just want to know if its probably a cable or connector or spring popped off I could readily reconnect allowing me to do it relatively swiftly after taking the door panel off. I won't even start it tonight if its too involved and just stay up all night guarding it..lol...no seriously I won't be able to sleep.

Jehu
12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Rope the front doors together by the door pulls and get out the back,press lock,voila!

Well it is the back doors and yah i did realise i could do that to get around but i still aim to fix it... thanks for the tip !

Jehu
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
...was a bad/broken spring in the latching mechanism... got a new latch mech from like bav auto recycling or something...

took the door panel off... took out the BIG honkin screw in the door jamb side of the door.... was then able to replace...

something like the spring and latch that should catch when closing the door didn't...got lazy on me.

kinda odd it'd happen on a door not used too much though... good luck.

not saying my problem was is what yours is... so good luck.

It actually sounds exactly like what i find is happening. I found one on that site .i'l call them tomorrow.

leicesterboy15
12-11-2007, 01:53 PM
An early warning that something's about to go?

632 Regal
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Hose the latch mechanism down with some WD40, My drivers door did that one time and it did suck holding the door closed the whole 40 miles home on the freeway, not to mention the cold and wind accompanied with it. After I hosed it down havent had it happen in 3 years since.

Jehu
12-11-2007, 07:03 PM
It was just the COLD! At first it was still inoperable but after an hour or so into the afternoon i tried it again and it worked.. Carry on!

Jehu
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
An early warning that something's about to go?

what goes in the latch? Springs break? I tend to think its just dirty grease hardening with water maybe leaked in from the many car wahsing i"m doing with all the Road Salt. Anyway I found a place who can ship me a latch next day for $50.00.

Jehu
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Hose the latch mechanism down with some WD40, My drivers door did that one time and it did suck holding the door closed the whole 40 miles home on the freeway, not to mention the cold and wind accompanied with it. After I hosed it down havent had it happen in 3 years since.

Yah I bought a can tonight for just that purpose. Here's some Zep (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com:80/earcandy/archives/127544.asp?source=mypi)