PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a cars

Anton CH.
12-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I am getting an itch to buy a new (to me car). Here are some choices that I narrowed it down to:

06 Subaru STI
04+ Acura TL
04+ MB E320 or E320D

Opinions?

Right now I am dailing my e34, my commute is about 92miles a day. I put in so much money/time/blood into my e34 (has full suspension setup, 4 piston brakes, turbo, etc). Since I don't have space for two cars, I am really not sure how the e34 fits in this picture as I really don't want to part with it.

Nick.Hay
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Merc is like joining the dark side... so no.

I have little experience with Acura... But aren't they basically a Honda. Nice cars... but no.

STIs are interesting, but common as dog-****. Going to Japanese after European is going to be a bit of a shock... so no.

KEEP THE E34... She sounds like a beast!! Or get a 3 series!! Stay with the roundel!! :D

Anton CH.
12-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Merc is like joining the dark side... so no.

I have little experience with Acura... But aren't they basically a Honda. Nice cars... but no.

STIs are interesting, but common as dog-****. Going to Japanese after European is going to be a bit of a shock... so no.

KEEP THE E34... She sounds like a beast!! Or get a 3 series!! Stay with the roundel!! :D

What turned me away from the newer bimmers is the interior. Its too simple and plasticy. The e34 interior is better. So no to the new bimmer.

I drove a c-class for about a week and I was really impressed by it. The ergonomics were great. I actually started to like the drive by wire system.

we_call_him_doher
12-10-2007, 04:37 AM
How about an Audi? In my opinion VW/Audi have some of the best made and designed interiors that you can get at that price range. A slightly used S4 shouldn't leave you wanting for power either :D

BMWDriver
12-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Better yet, move closer to work... if you get to walking distance you don't need a car and keep the e34 :)

swenpro
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
What turned me away from the newer bimmers is the interior. Its too simple and plasticy. The e34 interior is better. So no to the new bimmer.

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that, I thought the great advantage of upgrading to a new bimmer was the nicer interior. If I could put the luxury of a new interior design in the E34 exterior, now THAT would be an awesome daily driver!

Anton CH.
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Better yet, move closer to work... if you get to walking distance you don't need a car and keep the e34 :)

Haha I wish that was an option. I really do like the e34. And after all the blood and sweat that went into it, I'd hate to let it go. But the idea of being stuck 46 miles away from home frightens me. :p

Anton CH.
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that, I thought the great advantage of upgrading to a new bimmer was the nicer interior. If I could put the luxury of a new interior design in the E34 exterior, now THAT would be an awesome daily driver!

E46/E39 interior is hands down better than e34. I've driven e90 and e60s, and hated the interior. It tries to go for the elegant look but to me it comes off plain and boring. Now MB and Audi really have the ergonomics nailed down.

Anton CH.
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
How about an Audi? In my opinion VW/Audi have some of the best made and designed interiors that you can get at that price range. A slightly used S4 shouldn't leave you wanting for power either :D

I wouldn't mind owning the twin turbo s4 but I've heard that turbos fail after about 70k miles. Worse is that there are two to replace.

CharlesAFerg
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Buy an E38, the last of the good breeds. Interior is gorgeous, and if you get the 740i sport, it will handle better than the e34 I'd assume.

rob101
12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
When new car leaves you stranded, and only the dealer can fix it.
why did i hear evil laughter in my head when i read that?

I was thinking and i could be totally wrong here I understand alot of people will see it differently, but if your worried about being stranded why get a "new car" which will cost you heaps on top of what you've already spent on your bmw. enjoy your investment in your e34 and perhaps get some kind of roadside assistance just in case.
If your worried about your car leaving you stranded another suggestion is to do more preventative maintenance.

rob101
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Your T stars are on wrong
eh i drive an m50, my brakes don't need cooling.

repenttokyo
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM

i find the interiors of the new bmw's to also not be as nice as the e34.

don't get an sti as a commuter car, it won't be comfortable enough and you will start to hate the rougher suspension and all that goes with the STI package that makes it fun to drive in a spirited situation.

the twin turbo s4's are amazing machines, but they are extremely unreliable, and you will be spending a lot of time in the garage, and dollars on maintenance - so not the best commuter car either.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Haha I wish that was an option. I really do like the e34. And after all the blood and sweat that went into it, I'd hate to let it go. But the idea of being stuck 46 miles away from home frightens me. :p

When new car leaves you stranded, and only the dealer can fix it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Your T stars are on wrong