PDA

View Full Version : Flat battery, can't open door locks

ngruzevs@optusnet.com.au
12-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Yesterday I left my parkers lights on, (1989 535i E34) all day at the train station. When I returned to my car, the battery was obviously flat. To my surprise I couldn't open either the driver or passenger front doors with the key, the central locking obviously relies on battery power. I couldn't get into the car and therefore couldn't open the bonnet. I therefore had to call the Roadside assistance, the guy laughed and said he's had this situation before. He jacked the front up and found 12v underneath the bonnet to connect some jumper leads and I was then able to open the car door with my key.

Is this normal when the battery goes flat?

My mate has a 1987 525e, he said turn the key to the left and the door would open, but I didn't. :(

Rus
12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
That is a common issue when the battery dies. Here's some info about it: http://bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm

krazy00kanadian
12-08-2007, 08:52 AM
This same thing happened to me a year ago. Well, bus station.
Don't try to wedge the door and use the coat hanger trick to pull up on the locks, they ratchet down so no one can steal your car. Nice huh?

Anyway what we ended up doing was getting a really long hook, wedging the door and pulling the hood release.

Paul in NZ
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM
i ran my battery run flat last nigh(left the parking lights on)The mergency pprocedure worked for me,ie lifting the handle and turning the key at the same time.Had to have a few tries,on the third attempt the lock lifted a little,fourth attempt it lifted nearly all the way and the last attempt finished the job.I had jumper leads with me so all i needed was a friens help for a few minutes to jump start

Nick.Hay
12-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Use the boot (trunk) light method on the E34 website listed above... thats how I sorted out my old gal!! Connect a battery charger, and leave it for a day...

Uncle Robert!1!!

BigTed00
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM
same question, my two keys say "S" and "E"

whats the difference?

RallyD
12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
if the car is double locked or deadlocked you cannot pull the door lock pins up.
You also can't use the hold the handle up, turn the key, and lift the handle again trick if it is double locked. Regular locking then both would work.

I've always been able to get into the trunk, and I've actually heard (probably here) someone's sister climbing in through the ski passageway to unlock the doors. I'd just hate to get stuck 1/2 way through and try and figure this one out. My trunk struts are shot, so most likely get closed in and die.

Nick.Hay
12-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Completely off topic...

Where are you, Noob?? :D

Judging by the email, you are an Aussie??

So am I... Reppin' the Apple Isle!!

ngruzevs@optusnet.com.au
12-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

What key is the master key?
I have only one original key left, it has an "S" printed on the metal part. My other two keys are copies.

ngruzevs@optusnet.com.au
12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nick

Correct, I'm an Aussie from Melbourne.

I have a stock E34 :(

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ngruzevs/BMW/IMG_0162%20(Small).JPG

It gets parked at the station every day, therefore I don't put any money into it.

Nick.Hay
12-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Another Aussie... Excellent!!

Welcome aboard. There is a few of us on here now.

Paul in NZ
12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
if the car is double locked or deadlocked you cannot pull the door lock pins up.
You also can't use the hold the handle up, turn the key, and lift the handle again trick if it is double locked. Regular locking then both would work.

I've always been able to get into the trunk, and I've actually heard (probably here) someone's sister climbing in through the ski passageway to unlock the doors. I'd just hate to get stuck 1/2 way through and try and figure this one out. My trunk struts are shot, so most likely get closed in and die.
the emergeny method will open deadlocked cars,but probably only the drivers door..Once i got my door open and turned the parking lights off the battery regenerated enough to open the doors and to have the tell tale lights glowing dimly.The car was double locked when i left it both timesOnce with the battery in normal condtion and again when i got it open turned the lights off and then left it again

Pang
12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Another Aussie here too,central Victoria.