PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how much a valve job costs>?

taseal
12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I assume it will mean redoing the head because the valve will need new seats and whatnot. so you probably do a trade with a refurb head...

anyone take the head out on this thing while engine is on the car? I did it for my trans am, and it was a nightmare (and there was 2 of them lol)

I guess while at it, I can put a MLS gasket in there for a turbo that I might put on when I have some money to waste :D

taseal
12-05-2007, 09:12 AM
damn, I just called a place, they said if its 1 or 2 bad valves, they'll fix my head for like 350, the whole thing will be around 650.

I was thinking about a grand to do the whole head..... I could probably take the head out myself, (weekend project eh) so its not as bad as I thought (altough the damn car cost me 700 bux lol)

i guess I just need to make sure my head IS the problem before anything, and not the cat, or ignition

Robin-535im
12-07-2007, 08:10 AM
damn, I just called a place, they said if its 1 or 2 bad valves, they'll fix my head for like 350, the whole thing will be around 650.

I was thinking about a grand to do the whole head..... I could probably take the head out myself, (weekend project eh) so its not as bad as I thought (altough the damn car cost me 700 bux lol)

i guess I just need to make sure my head IS the problem before anything, and not the cat, or ignition
I had mine done a few months back.

I pulled the head with the engine in the car and disassembled it down to the bare head, bought the new valve guides and ~10 of 12 new valves.

I took it to a local hotrod shop and they installed the new guides and ground & seated the valves for ~$400. I put it all back together with new rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, springs, cam, etc. Total cost was in the neighborhood of $2000 for everything, but that includes a lot of new parts that you don't necessarily NEED...

I would use your existing head first and only replace if it's not serviceable. You never know what the history of a refurb head was, and my limited experience has left me very skeptical about big engine builder shops that sell rebuilt heads. Do it yourself and you know exactly what was done, and if you want to cut corners at least you know what you did...instead of living with someone else's bad work.