PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise to the rear wheel/disc???

anonymous1
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to shed some light on what could be causing a grinding noise from my rear wheel (driver's side).

When I go around a right hand bend I get a noise from the rear wheel, like a grind rather than a hum, so I don't think it is the bearing. (It doesn't really change pitch according to the speed). I have checked the handbrake and adjusted and still doing it.

The only thing I seem to be able to link it to is the protective cover behind the disc may be rubbing on the disc as there is a slight grove all the way around the outer rim on the back of the disc. Is it possible that the protective guard has moved and is this re-adjustable?

I replaced all four discs a couple of months ago and seems to be since I did this. The rear discs are cheaper ones, as they didn't have the ones I wanted in stock at the time, is it possible the disc could be warped and causing it?

As you can probably tell... I'm stumped! :(

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

Barney Paull-Edwards
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
A simple piece of wire with the point clamped close to the disc will tell you if its distorted and the cover bends easy out of the way, or cut it off for better cooling!

bmwpower
12-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Could be:
- parking brakes dragging or distorted - check to make sure pad material hasn't lifted off of the show
- dragging caliper
- bad caliper bushing or they need to be greased

anonymous1
12-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I'll be having another look as soon as I can and will try out the suggestions. Hoping it's nothing major.

It's only been doing it since I changed the discs, so thinking it may be warped. But if I find it not, how would it be best to test for the caliper sticking. Or is it best just to clean it up and would I need to replace the O-ring?

The parking brakes looked OK, checked them when I had the discs off last time, will recheck though.

Is there any draw back to cutting of the guard, or are they just being over the top on safety? Might remove them on both sides, bit of destruction is always welcome! :D

Cheers, I'll keep you post if I find out what it is... Or if I end up in a ditch from ignoring the problem too long! :p

Robin-535im
12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
If it only happens when turning to the right I would think it isn't a disc rubbing, as all the parts in that area are affixed together and shouldn't shift when turning (unless something is really loose). Have you checked / changed the oil in the differential? Could the trailing arm mounts be loose? Those "moving-only" noises are hard to locate. Maybe you could drive a tight circle near a friend and have him listen as you pass.

Actually, I've seen guys on you tube that get out of the car while it is driving and climb all over it... maybe one of those guys should put his talents to good use and start a business of hunting down car noises. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhuJk5oG0JM

anonymous1
02-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi,

Haven't had a chance to get on for a while. Hope everyone is well and enjoyed the festive activites.

I finally managed to get rid of the grinding noise. Still not sure exactly what it was though. Had to get the rear tyres changed and while the wheel was off I decided to apply some good old brute force. Simply banged on the dust guard a few times and after he put the wheel back on the noise had gone. Not sure if it was the guard or another part that got knocked in the process. He's to hoping it doesn't happen again though.

Thanks for the input from everyone, always appreciated.