PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires - good results with Dunlop Winter Sport M3

nuclearfusion
12-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm into the second winter on Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires. They are quite good - remarkable actually. Certainly as good or better than my previous favorite winter tires, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2.

I have these mounted on a set of 16" Style 4 forged multispoke alloys. Similar to the Alpina look but with more spokes and a slightly different centrecap. I got some Alpina wheel centre decals for mine just to keep the winter appearance a bit more consistent. Here they are:

http://www.anthus.net/bmw/style4-with-dunlop-wsport-m3s.jpg

The Winter Sport M3s seem to be a good match for the car, and they have the additional benefit of being quite reasonable in rain, etc. which we get a lot of here on the west coast.

Anyway, so far so good with these. Highly recommended!

Enjoy,

Fusion

Black 535i
12-05-2007, 05:06 AM
Had our first real snow last night here in Chicago and it dumped 6" on the north side where I live. Absolutely no issues getting out of the alley behind me where the garage is and no problems on the roads either. The tires run very well in the rain and even better in a snow covered alley. Would recommend these as well to anyone considering snows. My wife has Blizzaks on her T5 Volvo and loves them but that is a FWD beast.

nuclearfusion
12-05-2007, 07:53 AM
updated with photo...

Enjoy,

Fusion

fin
12-13-2007, 01:52 AM
I didn't get mine on until after the first snow. The Bridgestone Potenza's wouldn't go anywhere nor stop. Had to take a snow drift instead of slidding out into busy traffic. Never would have thought they would be that bad.

The Dunlops are nearly as good as four wheel drive. I have to turn off the ASC to have any fun as it tracks straight and true otherwise.

The shop that sold me the Bridgestones didn't have torque limiters on their air wrenchs. I broke two Craftsman sockets getting three tires changed and bought a impact socket to get the last one off. Borrowed a breaker bar from a neighor who works in the auto industry. He says that limiting the torque to 80 ft/lbs. keep the rotors from warping when the lug nuts are tightened down. I think a little lubricant on the thread would have helped too.

Anyway, I enjoy driving in the snow with the Dunlops. Good fun and they look very aggressive, almost trucklike which is good for a Touring.

Cheers,

Fin

Rick L
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I have Bridgestone Bilzzak WS-50 and it's day and night difference in cold/snow/ice traction. Grip is amazing! I know I don't have all-wheel-drive but it seemed to come close with these tires. Of course, having ASC+T on also makes a big difference. I live in Chicago and these tires give me full confidence to drive as normal in bad weather conditions. It's funny that I can pass all these SUVs with 4-wheel-drive in my Bimmer! :D