PDA

View Full Version : Lud squealing / sometimes short grinding sound inside my dash

repenttokyo
12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
It happens when I hear use the fan with my heater - most of the time it's a constant squealing sound. What can I do about this? Does the fan need to be lubricated? How hard is it to get at the part that is squealing?

icesoft
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
It happens when I hear use the fan with my heater - most of the time it's a constant squealing sound. What can I do about this? Does the fan need to be lubricated? How hard is it to get at the part that is squealing?

It's likely the fan motor, open the closing panel on the firewall behind the motor, then remove the cover from the fan housing and either lubricate the bearings or replace the motor. I'd suspect the motor is about done, as the bearings are oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearings that have likely worn out.

repenttokyo
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
It's likely the fan motor, open the closing panel on the firewall behind the motor, then remove the cover from the fan housing and either lubricate the bearings or replace the motor. I'd suspect the motor is about done, as the bearings are oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearings that have likely worn out.

thank you for the reply. Is it difficult to replace the fan motor? It is winter here now and my driveway repairs have become limited to fairly easy jobs. Is there anything in the way on the firewall?

E34-520iSE
12-04-2007, 04:17 AM
you might be lucky and just have something stuck in the fan blower. I sometimes get bits of leaves in there so it makes a squealing sound. I whack the blower onto full and within 10 seconds the piece of debris flies out, usually through the centre dash vents.

HTH,

Shaun M

Ferret
12-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Is the squealing coming from the front of the dash or by the gear shifter?

Mine keeps making the squealing noise from by the gearshifter, getting to the point where I cant 'adjust' it any more and am going to have to get a new sensor fan :/

repenttokyo
12-04-2007, 05:24 AM
you might be lucky and just have something stuck in the fan blower. I sometimes get bits of leaves in there so it makes a squealing sound. I whack the blower onto full and within 10 seconds the piece of debris flies out, usually through the centre dash vents.

HTH,

Shaun M

i've tried that - so far, nothing :( Is there any way to open it up and clean it?

repenttokyo
12-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Is the squealing coming from the front of the dash or by the gear shifter?

Mine keeps making the squealing noise from by the gearshifter, getting to the point where I cant 'adjust' it any more and am going to have to get a new sensor fan :/

It's from the front of the dash.

Ferret
12-04-2007, 05:32 AM
It's from the front of the dash.

May be a badly worded question, I meant to say coming from behind the heater controls or the actual blower fan area. Ambiguous question!

repenttokyo
12-04-2007, 05:36 AM
May be a badly worded question, I meant to say coming from behind the heater controls or the actual blower fan area. Ambiguous question!

It's from the blower fan area, towards the windshield :(