PDA

View Full Version : Trunk hard to Unlock

filip00
12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
i used WD40 on it, sprayed inside the lock and around it, pushed it open 50times, just kept punching it in, now it works literally like it's brand new.

Jehu
12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Replace the actuator or the lock itself or both?

shogun
12-03-2007, 12:38 AM
disassemble first and see what is wrong. Maybe just hardened grease. Brake cleaner sometimes helps. You can also disassemble the lock. There is a write up on my website from Jon Evans (evansweb) on the doorlock disassembling.
Also on Gale's website are pics of the trunk lock system and how to adjust, link also on my site.
Then buy what you need.

Jehu
12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Great ideas gentlemen,thanks again.

CharlesAFerg
12-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Okay, what I did is clean my lock (spray inside a lot) with carb cleaner. Wait for it to dry/evaporate for a few minutes

THEN, I used lithium grease.
WD40 didn't do JACK ****, so I figured... What the hell, I'll try this and if it doesn't work I'll replace it.

So try lithium grease, it's lasted me all year and I just now need to put more in, (It's been raining here in oregon for like a week straight... and I have a bad door handle seal, I think that might have something to do with my problem.)

Anyways, try this before anything else because it worked wonders for me.

shogun
12-03-2007, 03:07 AM
I have a bad door handle seal, I think that might have something to do with my problem.)
Better check the doors at the bottom, there is on each side a drain hole inside the door, just above (or sometimes under) the rubber stuff under the door. These holes sometimes get clogged and the door starts rusting inside.