PDA

View Full Version : Help Stater Replacement

Jersey General
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I am trying to replace the starter on my 1993 525i. I have been following the instructions in the Bentley Manual. I have almost everything removed, but I dont know how to disconnect the wiring harness from the fuel injectors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

whiskychaser
12-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I am trying to replace the starter on my 1993 525i. I have been following the instructions in the Bentley Manual. I have almost everything removed, but I dont know how to disconnect the wiring harness from the fuel injectors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Assume you are taking the inlet manifold off to get at the starter more easily. In which case you dont need to disconnect the harness. Just unbolt the fuel rail and the pipes (3) at the front of the rail and the little earth wire that bolts on one of the stat housing studs. Ease the injectors up out of the manifold working front to back. You may find you left an odd seal or injector in the manifold but they come out easy enough. Incidentally, I never disconnect the throttle/cruise cables from the throttle body. Dont forget the little pipe that connects under the manifold and make sure the big one from the idle control valve clicks home properly. New manifold gaskets should be fitted and assume you have the required torx sockets for the starter bolts. On some models one of the starter bolts has a nut on the end. Also on some models there is a bolt securing the back end of the starter to the side of the block. HTH

Jersey General
12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks I didn't know about the torx sockets. I will go get some. I have unbolted the fuel rail, but I am having trouble removing what I believe is the fuel return line. The hose clamp is unfamiliar to me, and I have never done any work with fuel lines. Any recommendations.

whiskychaser
12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks I didn't know about the torx sockets. I will go get some. I have unbolted the fuel rail, but I am having trouble removing what I believe is the fuel return line. The hose clamp is unfamiliar to me, and I have never done any work with fuel lines. Any recommendations.
The starter bolt heads are almost certainly torx male. The two small bore fuel pipes are a PITA to get off. Unless you have to, leave the back one hooked up and just undo the front one. They go hard and are a common source of leaks. The clamp you are looking at is probably some cheap factory fit bit of wire. Replace it with a jubilee (screw) clip.Have a rag handy when you disconnect the hose 'cos that fuel is under pressure. But you will only lose about an egg cup full. And you dont want sparks around with that fuel so I hope you disconnected your battery already?:)