PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes click

e34.535i.sport
12-02-2007, 01:17 PM
This suggestion is in no way meant to insult your intelligence but you haven't lost one of the anti-rattle clips and not noticed have you? The reason I ask is that it happened to me on my e46...

Rus
12-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Recently I've noticed that my car developed a new sound. When I apply the brakes, sometimes I'll hear a pretty loud metallic "click" from the left rear brake. Brakes work normally and I've inspected the rear brakes for loose bolts. I also added some lube to the areas where the pads contact the carrier. I've heard of caliper bushings being mentioned in other threads and I'm wondering if this refers to the guide bushings? If these are worn, do they cause a sound? What could cause this sort of noise other than that?

Thanks in advance.

whiskychaser
12-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone,

Recently I've noticed that my car developed a new sound. When I apply the brakes, sometimes I'll hear a pretty loud metallic "click" from the left rear brake. Brakes work normally and I've inspected the rear brakes for loose bolts. I also added some lube to the areas where the pads contact the carrier. I've heard of caliper bushings being mentioned in other threads and I'm wondering if this refers to the guide bushings? If these are worn, do they cause a sound? What could cause this sort of noise other than that?

Thanks in advance.
If the pads are loose in the guides, they could move a tiny bit and give a click when they hit the 'stop'. My experience is actually the reverse-they tighten up due to rust/brake dust etc and I've even had to file the backing on new ones as they arent exactly made to fine tolerances. The pins on which the caliper slides can wear but they would have to be in a dreadful state to make the sort of noise you mention

Rus
12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
This suggestion is in no way meant to insult your intelligence but you haven't lost one of the anti-rattle clips and not noticed have you? The reason I ask is that it happened to me on my e46...

No offense taken. The clips were one of the first items I thought of too, but they're in place as they should be. I'm probably going to pull the brakes apart sometime around christmas and clean/lube them. They've not been touched for about two years since I redid them with new rotors and pads. Thanks for the input guys :)

e34.535i.sport
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
No offense taken. The clips were one of the first items I thought of too, but they're in place as they should be. I'm probably going to pull the brakes apart sometime around christmas and clean/lube them. They've not been touched for about two years since I redid them with new rotors and pads. Thanks for the input guys :)

I thought you would have checked these first but sometimes the most obvious things can be missed more easily! (Prob just me that :D ) If you find out what it was let us know!