PDA

View Full Version : pull the radiator to change expansion tank?

Dave M
12-02-2007, 08:41 AM
You probably don't need to, but you may as well remove the rad. Once drained, its only a couple of more steps to pull it. If you're good, you can remove the plastic retaining clips without breaking them. I slide a vey thin flathead under the tab and work them off.

I don't recall the price on a tank, but I'd be inclined to just replace the O-ring if I was certain the tank was good.

Dave M

Russell
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I changed the bottom O ring with no problem. However, my radiator and tank were only about 4 years old. There is also a small O ring from the expansion tank to the radiator as well.

brosher
12-02-2007, 12:38 PM
My expansion tank is leaking from the gasket ring at the bottom. I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to pull the radiator or can the expansion tank be removed in car?
2. Should I change the tank which looks fine, or just the cheap o-ring?

Thanks!

whiskychaser
12-02-2007, 01:11 PM
My expansion tank is leaking from the gasket ring at the bottom. I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to pull the radiator or can the expansion tank be removed in car?
2. Should I change the tank which looks fine, or just the cheap o-ring?

Thanks!
Think you might find this thread of interest:
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35476&highlight=expansion+tank
Think you will have to remove some of the intake/alternator ducts to give you space to see the bottom of the tank but I dont see why you cant change the o-ring with the rad in the car. If the bottle is in good shape I'd keep it but suggest you have the have the system pressure tested after to make sure all is OK

brosher
12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I also found this thread with some pics of my issue. He mentioned the cold making it worse and it was 14F last night. Also the first time I've seen a puddle. Hopefully the dealer has the o-rings in stock as it's leaking enough to make me not want to drive the car.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29573

I was actually happy to see the puddle though as I've been unable to locate the leak and was fearing the worst. :D

brosher
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Stupid dealers don't have the o-rings in stock. I just ordered the whole tank + 2 new radiator clips for $57 including overnight shipping from pelican.

uscharalph
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
How old is your radiator? I made the decision to replace the whole cooling system: radiator, hoses, thermostat and water pump along with all the belts at the same time. Nothing like the comfort of knowing all is well.