PDA

View Full Version : Serious wobble over bumps... Ignored it long enough.

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Play in steering box? Easy to get at. Strut top mounts, pour heavy oil in, if shimmy goes for a while thats it.Check your inner arches for scallies unbolting bits.

Brandon J
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Top strut mounts, play in steering box, play in steeing shaft, idler arm, wheel bearing play, tires, power steering fluid flush both ways the wheel turns (not equal assist when loaded for each side), camber not matched up on both sides, loose power steering box bolts.

Those all can affect the steering.

e34.535i.sport
11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok when I go over a speed bump (one of those stupid square ones in the middle of the road) or drive over a dip in the road I'm getting a serious wobble on the LH front wheel. There is no shimmy at any speed the car is perfect on roads without pot-holes and speed bumps... My initial thoughts are that its the control arm but I replaced both control arms recently along with the thrust arms and tie rod ends...

I got under the car a week or so ago to check all nuts/bolts were torqued up correctly and they were... and they all seemed solid.

Could a worn shock cause a wobble under these conditions? I've examined the shock and there's no leaks and it seems to bounce back ok when you push down on it by hand so I'm not sure? I have no idea when the shocks were last changed, but I can't afford to just wade in and change them unnecessarily if they aren't the issue.

I've had a search and there's a lot of information on shimmy type wobbles at certain speeds but this isn't relevant to what I'm experiencing.

Does anyone had a similar issue or does anyone have any ideas on what to try to test for the guilty part? I'm going to get underneath tomorrow but I'm out of tests to perform!

Thanks in advance guys.

whiskychaser
11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm getting a serious wobble on the LH front wheel.

I am going to go away and bury my head in a pillow cos this is one of the funniest lines I have ever read. No criticism or offence meant. When I come back I will post something resembling a serious answer

e34.535i.sport
11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I am going to go away and bury my head in a pillow cos this is one of the funniest lines I have ever read. No criticism or offence meant. When I come back I will post something resembling a serious answer

Non taken! Are you on "non-prescription" drugs lately?! :p

e34.535i.sport
11-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Play in steering box? Easy to get at. Strut top mounts, pour heavy oil in, if shimmy goes for a while thats it.Check your inner arches for scallies unbolting bits.

Could the top mounts cause this when the bottom end is solid? If so it's a definite possibility as the rear mounts where really bad when I changed them!

whiskychaser
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Are you on "non-prescription" drugs lately?! :p
You cant get mine over the counter. Not being funny but have you asked somebody to watch what happens to the wheel when you go over a bump? Its got to be play somewhere?

e34.535i.sport
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
You cant get mine over the counter. Not being funny but have you asked somebody to watch what happens to the wheel when you go over a bump? Its got to be play somewhere?

I'll take some whatever it is you seem in a chirpy mood lately!!!!! Yeah it was actually a pupil of mine that spotted it as I was driving into work so I asked him what happened with the wheel and he suggested it moved in and out quite badly from the side of the car... Which to me would suggest the control arm balljoint's dead but it feels solid when prying it and it has less than 2k miles on it, thats what is confusing.