PDA

View Full Version : Canadians buying parts from US private citizens

repenttokyo
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
If you get it shipped via UPS, it can be very expensive. UPS will charge you a brokerage fee in addition to the taxes and duty on the parts. The duty for parts from germany is around 6 percent.

I am also in Montreal, and I have all of my American parts orders delivered to my Vermont address, which are then brought over the border for me. I never ever have anything shipped across the border due to the extra delivery times and costs.

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Not sure of the hanging, few people suitable for treatment, Chris Bangle for one. Have, not long ago, been asked to marry a lesbian couple, reading the service was an experience,and my quip about a waste of pu**y went down like a lead balloon.Seriously,man is right, shop about for agents, could save a lot,anything over 50kg needs to go via C.I. as duty-free to Canada as long as persomal use,if new get it dirty!

BMWDriver
11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I see a lot of adds from the US (I'm in Montreal). Just wondering about customs and taxes when things are shipped to you from a private person.

timandbim
11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
yes, ups is really expensive, i made that mistake once. not sure what you're looking at buying, but i have had quite a few smaller parts and other items (all under $100) shipped by usps (comes through canada post) and all but one got through without getting stamped by 'the man', and even then i just paid gst and a $5 handling fee. i have worked in the post office and it seems that the busier customs is, the more lower-priced goods get waved through so now might be a good time to grab that spare obc and icv you've always wanted. i don't think big items are worth it- i went to auto elektra for my gigantic new ansa muffler (holy crap it's big, eh?) and battery etc... they have good prices i think.

whiskychaser
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
If you get it shipped via UPS, it can be very expensive. UPS will charge you a brokerage fee in addition to the taxes and duty on the parts. The duty for parts from germany is around 6 percent.

I am also in Montreal, and I have all of my American parts orders delivered to my Vermont address, which are then brought over the border for me. I never ever have anything shipped across the border due to the extra delivery times and costs.
Ran a customs clearance office for years. UK value for VAT is value+duty x VAT. In other words you pay VAT on duty element too:( Dont think you are getting ripped off by UPS. Transport and customs clearance is pretty competitive-just like any other business. Shop around. Oh, and for anyone who doesnt know, UK customs have greater powers than the police: they can enter your home and dont need a warrant. And I will have to ask Barney but I think you can still be hanged for breaking into a UK port:(

kuly
12-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Ran a customs clearance office for years. UK value for VAT is value+duty x VAT. In other words you pay VAT on duty element too:( Dont think you are getting ripped off by UPS. Transport and customs clearance is pretty competitive-just like any other business. Shop around. Oh, and for anyone who doesnt know, UK customs have greater powers than the police: they can enter your home and dont need a warrant. And I will have to ask Barney but I think you can still be hanged for breaking into a UK port:(

I disagree when UPS or FedEx delivers anything for me always have to pay big time extra. USPS is the only way to go.;)

Montreal525
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
UPS and Fed/ex are rip offs when they cross the border... I have all my stuff shipped to these guys in Champlain NY...Been doing it for the last 6 years...45 minutes from Champlain bridge...

http://www.freeportforwarding.com/

Easy as pie... they charge $3 to hold your box for up to a month... After that, you cross the border on your own. Just remember to bring your Ebay auction print if you bought someting off Ebay or you'll end up like me, behind a computer in the customs office with the officer behind you saying " Well go ahead, log on to your account and show me the auction..."

I found it's much easier to tell them what I got and I pay the taxes on it and that's it. Half the time, they wave me thru... Or I order lots of stuff at once and show them two or three receipts, saying all those boxes are part of a kit... Works every time... :D

Jeff

Jehu
12-01-2007, 01:53 AM
I see a lot of adds from the US (I'm in Montreal). Just wondering about customs and taxes when things are shipped to you from a private person.

I just shipped a 2lb AC power cable worth $50 to Quebec via US postal Service and it cost me nearly twelve dollars including the padded envelope. That was rather costly in my opinion.

MBXB
12-01-2007, 02:23 AM
I bought a guitar from Montreal for $400 U$D, UPS dinged me for $45.

Dave M
12-01-2007, 02:33 AM
UPS and Fed/ex are rip offs when they cross the border... I have all my stuff shipped to these guys in Champlain NY...Been doing it for the last 6 years...45 minutes from Champlain bridge...

http://www.freeportforwarding.com/

Easy as pie... they charge $3 to hold your box for up to a month... After that, you cross the border on your own. Just remember to bring your Ebay auction print if you bought someting off Ebay or you'll end up like me, behind a computer in the customs office with the officer behind you saying " Well go ahead, log on to your account and show me the auction..."

I found it's much easier to tell them what I got and I pay the taxes on it and that's it. Half the time, they wave me thru... Or I order lots of stuff at once and show them two or three receipts, saying all those boxes are part of a kit... Works every time... :D

Jeff

Almost exactly what I do now. I used to have stuff sent USPS (UPS and FedEx are crapshoots at the border), but now have everything sent to a store at the border in Minnesota. It a beautiful 1/2 hour drive, they're wonderfully friendly, charge you $2 a parcel and they have great beef jerky, caramel corn and all the other littele goodies us poor canadians don't see on a daily basis.

And yes, I always declare 'something' ;)

Dave M

Tiger
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I have shipped a couple into Canada... UPS shipping as a "gift" under $50 value to each person of the household is free of duty and custom.

Anything commercially shipped as used part... or anything is alot of money and not worth it... even private listing as sold item to canada has high custom & brokerage... especially UPS.

timandbim
12-01-2007, 04:55 PM
anyone know any good bimmer yards conviently located for us montrealers? i am going down to burlington anyway and wouldn't mind poking around a pick-a-part while i was down there. i'm not finding any yards on internet searches, but i suck at internet searches.

repenttokyo
12-01-2007, 08:43 PM

people in Canada are bieng charged 60 dollars customs clearance on 30 dollar items. I avoid it by not shipping across the border - works great for me.

BMWDriver
12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
anyone know any good bimmer yards conviently located for us montrealers? i am going down to burlington anyway and wouldn't mind poking around a pick-a-part while i was down there. i'm not finding any yards on internet searches, but i suck at internet searches.

Subscribed... :)

Montreal525
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM

http://www.recyclagest-bruno.com/main.cfm?p=10&l=fr

Black 535i
12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
I am coming to the London, Ontario area for Christmas around Dec. 21 and would be willing to bring along some smaller parts (no bumpers or trannies) and resend them once I get into the old country. They would need to be shipped to me in Chicago first.