PDA

View Full Version : really scary steering problem - please HELP

Martin in Bellevue
11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Try replacing the power steering belt? Or tightening up the belt a smidge?

Sounds like you're losing power assist due when splashing through the puddle.

Brandon J
11-30-2007, 09:54 AM
As others have said, yeah, the belt. But as you said, it should get tougher not lock up. Well, the water entering the engine bay is still a problem. Do you have the undertray? If not that helps a lot to protect. I know that if I hit a puddle with good power steering the water holds the wheel and makes it tough to turn the steering wheel. So, if that happens to you and add the loss of power steering at the belt, then it might appear as a lock-up. I hope it is as simple as that for ya so there isn't a bigger problem.

Good Luck.

bahnstormer
11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
:(

hi guys,

i have a really scary steering problem in the wet...

when turning a corner with a puddle (left or right) the steering wheel
locks as if you've pulled the key out...

the first time it happened threw my entire weight against it and it wouldn't budge... almost drove right into the curb as i was takin the corner fast...

never happens in the dry. if i go slowly over a puddle it won't happen. if i go fast it does...

thoughts?

infurno
11-30-2007, 12:25 PM
This happens to me too. very rare.

Takes me by surprise every time. I can fight it but it takes a lot. Just an accident waiting to happen.

bahnstormer
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Try replacing the power steering belt? Or tightening up the belt a smidge?

Sounds like you're losing power assist due when splashing through the puddle.

i thought that at first too, but if i lose power assist (esp at higher speeds) the wheel won't and shouldn't lock ... it should be heavy to turn (more effort the slower i go)

it literally locks as if i pulled the key out...

bahnstormer
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
This happens to me too. very rare.

Takes me by surprise every time. I can fight it but it takes a lot. Just an accident waiting to happen.

mine happens every puddle (as long as i hit it at speed) if i manage to go slow and now "splash" then it doesn't happen... scary indeed

bahnstormer
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
ok guys i'll follow jeff n's "checklist" =]

i'll let you know if it fixes the problem

maybe i'll put the splash guard back on... if i haven't thrown it away =\

CharlesAFerg
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
This used to happen to me until the belt was tightened.

I do need new belts though, and I have a squealing bearing & metallic type sound someplace in the front that I cant figure out what it is!!!

Jeff N.
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Ditto with Martin and Brandon. A loose or old belt combined with getting water on it. Do all the ususal fixes:

- new belt, correctly tensioned.
- check your PS fluid level

shogun
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM
I remember a case in Germany last month on an E32. Also the steering suddenly got hard sometimes, no power assist.
Turned out to be a broken engine mount. Whenever the engine 'turned' a bit in the engine room with accel or slow down, the engine squeezed/blocked a hydraulic hose for the power steering..

Jon K
12-01-2007, 05:42 AM
But don't you guys think that, at speed, the steering wheel should be fairly easy to turn - martin is describing a hard almost ignition lock-like difficulty

Jr ///M5
12-01-2007, 07:31 AM
As usual, Martin, Brandon, Jeff N. are spot on with the diagnosis. If you can find a used undertray, coupled with a new belt, it should alleviate this problem. The fan is pulling water spray upon the belts. I say find a used undertray because I think they are NLA. (No longer available)

JR

DaveVoorhis
12-01-2007, 09:20 AM
But don't you guys think that, at speed, the steering wheel should be fairly easy to turn - martin is describing a hard almost ignition lock-like difficulty
Absolutely. I once had the power steering pump fail on a '67 Oldsmobile Toronado -- a staggeringly weighty front-wheel drive vehicle with massive tires and heavy-duty suspension and steering linkage -- and I didn't even notice it until the car slowed to a crawl. If the steering is literally locking up at speed, it could well be more serious than water on the pump belt.

Qube
12-01-2007, 10:41 AM
As usual, Martin, Brandon, Jeff N. are spot on with the diagnosis. If you can find a used undertray, coupled with a new belt, it should alleviate this problem. The fan is pulling water spray upon the belts. I say find a used undertray because I think they are NLA. (No longer available)

JR

Or order one from BMA. I did last year...

bahnstormer
12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
well i'll def try the suggestions out here first and if it is a more niche problem i'll try to diagnose it more later on

Paul in NZ
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
didnt your mom tell you not to play in the puddles?

bahnstormer
12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
ok anyone know what that plastic under tray splash guard thing is called ?

Jr ///M5
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
It's called "Engine Compartment Screening"...part # 51711938182. It's on realoem, try calling Patrick at BMW with number and see if you can still get it. You'll also need the plastic 10mm nuts to attach it to the existing studs already in place just waiting for your installation.

Hope this helps,
JR

blue540
12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
When I first got my E34 I experienced an ignition lock style steering freeze up when accelerating round a tight bend. It turned out to be the engine mount.

Very similar to what Shogun describes except in my case, as the engine twisted to toward the right of the car under power the exhaust manifold was catching on the universal joint for the steering..(UK car, V8 engine)

Worth checking, Foot on brake and a bit of throttle while in gear with the hood up.... My mount was so shot that I thought the engine was going to flip out onto the pavement....:(

bahnstormer
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
helps very much! thank you kind sir

also thanks to qube who PM'ed me