PDA

View Full Version : Just finished the dreaded pan gasket replacement

KeithW '91 535i
11-29-2007, 02:33 AM
and thanks to the people on this Board, I made the best of a tough challenge. Winfred- I did drop the oil pump into the pan. I also jacked the engine up at the power steering pump and ac compressor pump brackets (Neither had the be removed)after removing the fan clutch and fan blade assy and loosening the transmission mounts. Installing the pan was a pain until I slid under the engine all the way to the back of the oil pan so I could see what was blocking it from going all the rest of the way in. Torqueing the pan bolts was tedious. Be prepared to get really dirty by wearing long sleeves and gloves. I am gonna degrease my clothes and then power wash them, then launder in washing machine. After finishing the pan gasket, I went on to adjust valves, new valve cover gasket, new plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, ATE power discs up front and Mintex pads, Amsoil oil change and filter, and fuel check valve for hot start dependability. Next to change trans fluid...40K miles on it since factory remanufactured new transmission installed by me. I also installed the throttle cable safety clips and the valve train oil tube bolts with safety wires . Cost in parts...next to nothing. Value for a good night's sleep from here on....priceless! When I popped the valve cover, sure enough one of the bolts was laying in the bottom of the cyllinder head harmlessly, thank God. Thanks to Don Gale for the safety parts. Bought 2 sets of each 17 months ago for the '89 735il and the '91 535i.

BigKriss
11-30-2007, 09:30 PM
sounds like a major service. good work