PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start

julielewis
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a 1989 520i 2L BMW and I changed the engine to a 2.5L. No current is reaching the plugs. I also would like to know if the oil temperature sensor could cause it not to start. I am also at a loss as to which connector the crank position sensor and spark sensor should be plugged into.

whiskychaser
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a 1989 520i 2L BMW and I changed the engine to a 2.5L. No current is reaching the plugs. I also would like to know if the oil temperature sensor could cause it not to start. I am also at a loss as to which connector the crank position sensor and spark sensor should be plugged into.
Good swap! I didnt know the 525 had an oil temp sensor - only a coolant sensor-but if yours does I doubt it would could the engine not to start. Perhaps you could post pics of the cps and spark sensor so we can help you decide which is which?

julielewis
12-08-2007, 05:19 AM
The crank position sensor was in the wrong location. The engine is so much more powerful. So far I am happy for the swap.

Good swap! I didnt know the 525 had an oil temp sensor - only a coolant sensor-but if yours does I doubt it would could the engine not to start. Perhaps you could post pics of the cps and spark sensor so we can help you decide which is which?

Dave M
12-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Good job, thanks for the follow up. After an M50 rebuild, I had the cam position tag/ID thingy on upside down, so starting was, well, not an option. Took some headscratching.

Dave M