PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install rear fog lights?

Russell
11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Anyone know of any other write-up to install rear fog lights like the euro cars on the US e34?
I have seen the one on bmwe34 (bruno's) site. Just doing my homework.

Related questions:

Are any of our cars wired for rear fogs and just not installed in US models?

What parts are needed besides the euro fog lamp switch?

My daughter's 2004 US Audi A4 has a single rear fog lamp? Is this how the euro BMW rear fog is set up?

Is a different LKM module required?

Thanks in advance

BMWCCA1
11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
My '95 525i (US version) has two rear fog lights, installed by the previous owner. He never mentioned anything about replacing the rear light housings, relay, or switch, and even the dash indicator for the rear fogs lights up. I believe the switch has a tab that locks out the rear-fog position (which is marked on US switches but not accessible) and you may not need a Euro-version to do it. The parts list for US cars shows one switch listed as: "SWITCH FOG LAMP AND FOG TAIL LAMP"

I haven't seen any odd-ball wiring but I'm happy to take a look and see how it was done. If there aren't any more answers, I can at least take pictures of what I've got. It's a nice feature that came in hand on a 1,000 mile drive yesterday.

Russell
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Especailly since it appears we both have the same year car. Mine was made 1/95.

I also need to dig around and see what mine may have installed. It would have been handy today as it was raining, overcast and foggy almost all day.

My '95 525i (US version) has two rear fog lights, installed by the previous owner. He never mentioned anything about replacing the rear light housings, relay, or switch, and even the dash indicator for the rear fogs lights up. I believe the switch has a tab that locks out the rear-fog position (which is marked on US switches but not accessible) and you may not need a Euro-version to do it. The parts list for US cars shows one switch listed as: "SWITCH FOG LAMP AND FOG TAIL LAMP"

I haven't seen any odd-ball wiring but I'm happy to take a look and see how it was done. If there aren't any more answers, I can at least take pictures of what I've got. It's a nice feature that came in hand on a 1,000 mile drive yesterday.

Russell
11-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Appreciate your attention to the various forums. I am just seeing what others may have to offer as there usually are several answers to the same question. :)

BMWCCA1
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I just saw the link that gjmane posted and, surprise, it's authored by my car's previous owner! So I can confirm it works. He was a tinkerer and accomplished with electronics from in his job as a photographer and photo technician with National Geographic, having set up underwater shots in every ocean in the world, sometimes using robotic devices. If he says it needs a switch, it must! Thanks for the link. :) My signature photo is Stan's old car.

shogun
11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
That is what I answered on BB, but maybe others here have more ideas:

First of all your LKM only has 3 relais, as the U.S. LKM has no relay for the rear fog light(s). EU LKM have 4 relais. 1 for low, 1 for high beam, 1 for front fogs, 1 for rear fogs.
Wiring on a U.S. car for that is also not there.
Switch has to be changed to switch front and for switching on rear fog lights.
BMW also had one rear fog light for the Austria version for example, other EU specs have 2 rear fog lights.
Maybe you even would need another CCM in EURO version.

gjmane36
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Here is a link you can use for installing the rear fog lights.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/rear_foglight.htm

gjmane36
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I would be interested in see pic on your setup if possible.

gjmane36
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
I would love to see the set-up!

attack eagle
11-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Like I told you on bf.c, it's easy.

Just please for the love of god don't follow the ghetto instructions for getting the bulb to work.
Just install a connector where it is needed un the cluster harness so the bulb lights up. no muss & no fuss later down the road when or if the bulb needs replacement, or the cluster needs to come out.
I think I canabalized mine from the old rear maplamp connector and shaved it down to fit.

shogun
11-27-2007, 04:33 AM
here the fog light switch for front and rear, E32 740 though
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h33139624

Kobe Diesel
11-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Instead of the proper install for rear fogs, ie LKM, relays, etc., I fitted the sockets and bulbs and hardwired them to the rear running lights. The lights are on all the time with the rear lights - day, night, fog or no fog. It's better to be seen than unseen, especially where I live now. Soe people think Im riding the brakes, but no one is tailgating me anymore.