PDA

View Full Version : I need a Tool to pull the Steering Wheel?

Jehu
11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
When at the local BMW parts counter the other day getting a 1.5 watt bulb for the Inst.Cluster the parts guy said I'd need a puller tool to get my steering wheel off. This is news to me. I have a 22mm socket and a tube of red lock tight and thought I was good to go. What was he thinking?

shogun
11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
No need, but you have to switch ignition on, otherwise the pin inside blocks the removal.
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/changingClusterBulbs.htm

Just pull straight and wiggle it, then it will come out. But do not forget the ignition.

Jehu
11-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Does the battery need to be conneceted for the ignition to disengage the lock then I disconnect the negative cable before undoing the SRS plug or can i turn the ignition with the negative cable disconnected? Thanks for the facts.

vince
11-25-2007, 01:15 AM
No need to have the battery connected to disengage the lock.

Just take your time and be careful.

vince

Does the battery need to be conneceted for the ignition to disengage the lock then I disconnect the negative cable before undoing the SRS plug or can i turn the ignition with the negative cable disconnected? Thanks for the facts.

///Sniper535
11-25-2007, 01:21 AM
How do i go about taking the steering wheel off a junked car?

no power and locked steering wheel

shogun
11-25-2007, 01:42 AM
How do i go about taking the steering wheel off a junked car?

no power and locked steering wheel

That is bad luck, I can tell you from experience on my own 750 E32 parts car. I forgot that this pin stuck inside the steering wheel and pulled and pulled, did not come off.
Then I remembered that the pin has locked it. Luckily I found a spare key of the car in the tool box in the trunk :D

That is with the 'key' in
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dashboard_removal/cover_instrument_cluster.jpg
and that is how it looks with locked steering wheel, you see the pin out
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dashboard_removal/nightmare.jpg
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/turnClusterTowardsColumn.jpg

You might have to remove the lock first completely, but not sure.

///Sniper535
11-25-2007, 01:55 AM
That is bad luck, I can tell you from experience on my own 750 E32 parts car. I forgot that this pin stuck inside the steering wheel and pulled and pulled, did not come off.
Then I remembered that the pin has locked it. Luckily I found a spare key of the car in the tool box in the trunk :D

That is with the 'key' in
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dashboard_removal/cover_instrument_cluster.jpg
and that is how it looks with locked steering wheel, you see the pin out
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dashboard_removal/nightmare.jpg
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/turnClusterTowardsColumn.jpg

You might have to remove the lock first completely, but not sure.

bad times... :(

Ross
11-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Disconnect the battery. If the ignition is on with the airbag off or the cluster disconnected it will set the SRS warning light.
I don't recall needing to turn the ignition on when removing the wheel.

PaulJ
11-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Bill R has a write-up somewhere in the archives about removing the steering wheel if you feel that's what you want to do. I've changed instrument lamps without removing the steering wheel. There's a write-up here on that too. I followed it but that was a year ago and I don't remember much about it. See what you can dig up before getting into all that.

Paul

Jehu
11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I already tried to remove the cluster with the Steering wheel in place. No matter how far out i telescoped it and how i tried to tilt the cluster it would not fit thru.

Bill R.
11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
to the on position when removing the wheel.... No, you do not need a steering wheel puller and Yes you do need to disconnect the battery unless you like tripping SIR codes and possibly setting off the airbag also. There's a little latch that holds the wheel on after the bolt is removed. When you turn the key it retracts the latch and the steering wheel lifts right off. No effort.

I already tried to remove the cluster with the Steering wheel in place. No matter how far out i telescoped it and how i tried to tilt the cluster it would not fit thru.

PaulJ
11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
As I remember, the cluster does not actually have to be removed to change the lamps (in fact, I think the steering wheel has to be removed if you are determined to remove the instrument cluster completely). Seems to me that I lowered (or extended) the steering wheel and placed a towel over everything. Then I rotated the cluster such that I could access both sides of the back of the cluster and changed the required lamps. Then re-mounted the cluster and put everything back. Let me repeat, It was tight but I DID NOT remove the steering wheel or take the instrument cluster completely out. All the best....

Paul

///Sniper535
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
So how do you take the steering wheel off a junked car that has the wheels locked?

Bill R.
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM
don't have a key then you have to remove the column covers and break the ignition lock off of the column then rotate the link to unlock the wheel.

So how do you take the steering wheel off a junked car that has the wheels locked?

dennyg
11-26-2007, 03:21 AM
When I took steering wheel from my parts car I just unbolted the left and right steering column support bolts and dropped steering column a couple inches. It seems much easier to get at cluster then taking off steering wheel. If I remember correctly there are just two bolts each side and steering column will drop enough so cluster will clear. One car was a 1990 and the other a 1992. Not sure if the design change for newer models.

Bin_jammin
11-26-2007, 04:22 AM
You DO need a steering wheel puller, if you're working on an American car ;)

I don't see why you wouldn't just pull the wheel, it's a 5 minute job.

///Sniper535
11-27-2007, 12:05 AM
You DO need a steering wheel puller, if you're working on an American car ;)

I don't see why you wouldn't just pull the wheel, it's a 5 minute job.

WTF? why so many complications!!!???

Jehu
11-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I'll see what kind of room i have to open the cluster without taking the wheel off but from what i recall when i tried to get it out there really was no room whatsoever to tilt the cluster in a way to open it and switch the bulbs ,maybe my '95 year 540 model has a bigger cluster? I don't want to do more than neccesary but that thing from what i recall was really snug but maybe i can lay it down on a towel and just flip the back up..

Ross
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Jehu, You can wiggle the cluster out without taking the wheel off by moving the wheel around but it's very tight and you run the risk of scratching or cracking the lens on the cluster, I know I've done it.
Removing the wheel is time well spent.

Jehu
11-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Jehu, You can wiggle the cluster out without taking the wheel off by moving the wheel around but it's very tight and you run the risk of scratching or cracking the lens on the cluster, I know I've done it.
Removing the wheel is time well spent.

10-4!

cobb535
11-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I have removed my cluster several times without removing the steering wheel. My method may not be easier though. I remove the trim cover under the steering wheel (the large one held on by about 8? screws) then it is 2 13 mm bolts holding the enire steering column up. Remove these and lower the column to down. Now there is plenty of room to remove/install the cluster.

Jehu
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I have removed my cluster several times without removing the steering wheel. My method may not be easier though. I remove the trim cover under the steering wheel (the large one held on by about 8? screws) then it is 2 13 mm bolts holding the enire steering column up. Remove these and lower the column to down. Now there is plenty of room to remove/install the cluster.

Well if i am too nervous about dealing with the airbag off the wheel and worry about triggering it by dropping it or bumping it i can always try that way.. thanks. haven't taken the time to get around to this yet thoigh..

Ross
12-01-2007, 04:19 PM
5 minutes tops to pull the wheel. The airbag is no big deal, disconnect the battery and you can't set the SRS light.