PDA

View Full Version : :: My 30 minute snit with a 2002 540iA

repenttokyo
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
comment: don't buy a car that new and respray it. get one in the colour you like.

Qube
11-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah, so I'm considering getting one. I have to say, the car actually FEELS like a luxury sedan compared to my e34 ;) Heh. Of course that point is moot.

Originally my hunt was for either a Z4 or TT (225 quattro), but circumstances have changed and dictate that we WILL be needed an extra seat within a year *wink* Anyway.

Power off the line is incredible. The accelerate is fluid, predictable. The DSC is such a nice plus... expecially since one can turn it off!

The problem here is that it just doesn't feel as connected to the road. Sure, I ride lowering springs and Konis on the e34 but still. Everything is just so soft... including the seats ;)

My wife loves it, except the fact that it's silver. I'll have it resprayed the sport blue or white before delivery.

About 20 minutes into the test drive, I really started to settle into the car. It's like having a luxury cruise ship that can move like a speedboat on demand.

All in all, the only criticisms I have are...

1. factory 6-disc changer HU not upgradable (easily)
2. wood trim is a little... erm... not so nice IMHO
3. steptronic. 6-spd would be nice.
4. the warning triangle is missing from the toolkit?!

Of course, this was before I left the dealership and got back in my 535. With the Magnaflow and K&N cone filter, the car just has so much more character. I even had a run-in with an older (C4) S4, and he couldn't pull from me. We ran from low second to fifth at 180kph. Awesome.

I feel like going to the e39 is almost a step back... with the steptronic... a leap back.

"I would personally enjoy the car a lot more with a 6 speed. To me, half the cool factor of BMW is you can have a powerful luxury sedan and still have a manual. Also consider that the torque rating of the automatic is just barely in excess of the stock output. So if you add any performance upgrades you're over the design specs pretty quickly. The 6 speed is designed for M5 power output."

It's a hard choice. The e39 is a very comfortable car. The e34 (as I spec'd it) is such a drivers car. Even my wife said "he should come with you in YOUR car and see how a BMW should feel" during my snit with the S4. Bless her.

This saga to be continued... Monday...

NB: oh and no, I can't get an e39 M5... even though my wife says get one! It's because my 'sponsor' set a hard limit of $30,000 CAD out the door AND it must be a newer car (no e34 M5). I'm hard pressed to find one in that price range in good condition. An e39 540 is my best bet.

pundit
11-24-2007, 10:59 PM
If only. It won't cost me anything personally to have it done...
Okay... a color change respray is worth at least 10k USD to do properly.
Even if someone is going to do it gratis, it's still the equivalent to 10k's worth of 'blood, sweat and tears' plus materials.

A professional color change is a BIG laborious job.

I assume the motor is going to be pulled along with all the looms, engine bay fittings...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5191&stc=1&d=1195935470

...body trims & fittings, doors stripped, glass removed etc. etc.?

A less than perfect job will seriously devalue the car.

I personally would not be buying a car like this and then respraying it even if someone was going to do it free of charge.

Even if the paint job is good, the paint codes will no longer match and that will still hurt your resale.

I would advise to either leave it the color it is or buy the color you want.

Qube
11-24-2007, 11:10 PM
comment: don't buy a car that new and respray it. get one in the colour you like.

If only. It won't cost me anything personally to have it done.

Next, to find one in budget well cared for in the color I want (not green/beige/silver) is difficult. Silver is the least of all evils.

Hey man, why do other posts get above mine? The time stamp is whacked.

Ross
11-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Qube, The advice about respraying is good advice.
You mention a few athor things about this one you didn't like either. wait for the car you really want. There are about a zillion E39s out there.
I agree with your driving impressions. Let me know what you think of visibility. This my biggest complaint on the E39. In the E34s I can adjust mirrors to see without the need to swivel my head for every manuever. In our E39 I can't. Forward vision is blocked by the giant airbag equipped A pillars. I'm never comfortable knowing my position in traffic with the E39.

Qube
11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
You're right guys. Thanks for knocking some sense about color.

Visibility is definitely different. On the test drive, I had to constantly turn to check. Of course, this could also be that I'm not yet comfortable and don't want to scrape up the side with a missed blind spot.

Ross
11-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't think you will get comfortable. The mirrors suck, the beltline is high and the pillars wide. Might as well drive looking through a periscope.

filip00
11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
listen, forget about the car color, it's NOT important, and you are NHF a fool if you'd respray a relatively new car. especially such a nice car.

what would bother me, is the gearbox. if you can't swap it to a manual, i'd simply forget that unicorn and try to find another one.

Qube
11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
filip00, I've already decided about the color :) In my chat with you, I will be hanging on to the e34 as well. This will satisfy my need for high revving.

It's decided. If it's a clean bill of health, I'm getting this. It will be my 'cruising' car, and the e34 will be my fun car. Of course, I can't very well leave it alone, so this will most likely be put on to keep me happy :) My wife can drive it as well since it's a Steptronic.

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/mtech/e39_mtech_frontrear2.jpg

filip00
11-25-2007, 02:00 PM
mtech looks excellent on a facelifted e39. glad you made the right choice ;)

bahnstormer
11-25-2007, 04:17 PM
you can't find an 02 or 03 m5 for under 30,000 canadian?

you can't contribute some of your own money to the sponsor's 30?

Qube
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
you can't find an 02 or 03 m5 for under 30,000 canadian?

you can't contribute some of your own money to the sponsor's 30?

- not one in good condition. Had the odd one at about 26/28k but required extensive... mods... to bring it back from thrashed condition

- no, doesn't work that way I am afraid!

RockJock
11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
- not one in good condition. Had the odd one at about 26/28k but required extensive... mods... to bring it back from thrashed condition

- no, doesn't work that way I am afraid!

What about a 2004 Cayenne Twin Turbo? ;)

Qube
11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Um, those list 50k+ CAD...?

winfred
11-25-2007, 10:33 PM
id rather have the veedub version wid da diesel v10, the one that has like 8000 foot pounds of torque at 12 rpm :D

RockJock
11-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Um, those list 50k+ CAD...?

i've seen them for cheaper on ebay.....

but, can't you just go back to the bank and ask them to sponsor you yet another 20K via a HELOC? ;)

then you can get the veedub tdi flavoured variety if you so desire.....

Qube
11-27-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think you will get comfortable. The mirrors suck, the beltline is high and the pillars wide. Might as well drive looking through a periscope.

A-Pillar is wickedly obtrusive. Blind spot view is tiny. Rear window is small. Yep.