PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this Brake Fluid leak?

Jehu
11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I found a new stain on the pavement this afternoon. Appears to be leaking from these two points Is there any information about a fix for this around? I had recently taken up the habit of braking substantially harder than usual and assume have compromised sme seal in those line ports or whatever they are. Any help or info will be appreciated. The pedal seems perhaps a little softer today but not alarmingly so.

Is it just a matter of replacing these $4.00 plugs? #2?
http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/master%20cyl.bmp

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/a%20leak%20005.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/a%20leak%20006.jpg

vince
11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I had a brake fluid leak on the '94 525i that I sold to my mother. After careful checking, it was coming from these same two rubber plugs. The old ones were hardened and deteriorating. Whenever I wiped them, I wiped off brake fluid and black rubber. I put new ones in and am anxious to see if that does indeed stop the leak. It sure wasn't leaking anywhere else!

Hope this helps,

vince

vince

Jehu
11-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Yah that sounds encouraging. I'll swing past the Dealership Monday.Thanks

DanDombrowski
11-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I had a similar leak on my 525i. I replaced the rubber grommets and it cleared the leak up.

Jehu
11-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I assume you just pull them right up taking care not to break the tubes.is that about it ? Then pop the new ones in and replace the plugs?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I assume you just pull them right up taking care not to break the tubes.is that about it ? Then pop the new ones in and replace the plugs?

Yup, just pull straight up.

common problem, had it happen a few times.

cover your fender, fire wall and cowl with rags, because brake will eat up your paint.

I'd clean out the reservoir, carefully clean out the bits of the old gommet left in the master , (Q tips help) wet the news with clean fluid and pop them into the master now wet the nipples on the tubes and press them in, it may take a little wiggling.

refill with freash fluid tap the lines to release any air bubbles

Jehu
11-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I bought the two plugs today. I had no luck pulling the existing ones up because i was afraid of breaking either the radiator vent pipe(plastic) or breaking the two pipes coming out of the Brake Fluid Reservoir(plastic as well) I used locking pliers and tried to pull up but reached a level of force i felt would be impossible to stop if they suddenly popped out and i;d surely just rip the plastic hoses apart. Did everyone who did this break those plastic pipes changing these two rubber plugs ? I will hunt for the pipes from the Fluid res around. I know where to get the radiator vent pipe. I tried this while away from home so i played it safe lest I be stranded,see? I tried prying with a flathead screw driver and pulling straight up with pliers and no love...

Chris'91'525i
11-27-2007, 12:34 AM
If it's cold out, they will probably 'give' much easier if heated slightly above room temperature (10-20 degrees).
I would throughly clean the area around those seals first, and then lube the area with fresh brake fluid too.

Jehu
11-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I bought some no chlorinated brake fluid cleaner spray(Green Can) and blasted the area. Stuff REALLY cleans,lol.. Its wasn;'t too too cold I was just hesitant to use all the force it apparently will need as it would surely break those pipes and would have left me stranded. I guess i just expected to pop/pull them up no sweat.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-27-2007, 01:49 AM
I bought some no chlorinated brake fluid cleaner spray(Green Can) and blasted the area. Stuff REALLY cleans,lol.. Its wasn;'t too too cold I was just hesitant to use all the force it apparently will need as it would surely break those pipes and would have left me stranded. I guess i just expected to pop/pull them up no sweat.

Try to wiggle and pull.

your grommets can't be that bad....they usually just fall apart by the time they leak.

gjmane36
11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
I just replaced mine over the weekend. I had to pull unusually hard to get them out. I got a little instruction from my parts guy. He said that they would be hard to pull out and that I needed to pull straight up with equal force so not to break the tip or nipple because they were harder to come by.

The first one (considered the back one or closest to the engine) came out by pulling hard but slowly and carefully. I ended up pulling up on the rubber and the hole thing came up. The front was a little harder to come out because of the angle, but it came out. I kept my finger over the opening of the tube so I would not have as much to clean.

This fix also cleared up my ASC switch not working.

Jehu
11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Very helpfull,thanks. Got them in Ok today.