PDA

View Full Version : OT@Rory535i - your PM account is full

shogun
11-23-2007, 09:25 PM
cannot send PM's:
The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
Rory535i has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Your question:
have a friend with an '89 E32 735iL who is having some suspension troubles. I couldn't give him a definate answer so i thought if anyone would know, it'd be you!

What he wants to know is, will front suspension struts out of a later model fit his car? he's having a lot of difficulty finding new shocks and shock mounts locally to fit his car so he wants to swap over to later model struts with the newer style fixed mount and the later inserts which are easier to get hold of. currently he's got the old mounts with the ball race built into them.

he thinks that if he buys later model inserts and later strut mounts that they should fit into his old struts?

if you could shed some light on the problem that would be great!!

thanks in advance
--------------------------------------------------------

Here my reply, have been away some days in Vietnam, therefore late answer.

I think his 1989 (?month year of production?) should have the newer struts and mounts. But you can check it out at www.autohausaz.com
select a 1988 E32 model and they indicate till what production month these old struts fit. The newer ones have a different diameter at the top where the nut goes on, so also the strut mounts are different. I have not tried it yet, but assume that if you change all to new design, it probably fits. But better ask on Bimmerboard, people like Shayne and Johan can tell you immy
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32
----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe someone here also can give a definitive reply, although it is an E32.