PDA

View Full Version : Starter interlock relay location

ktteoh
11-21-2007, 10:14 PM
folks, do you know where is this relay located?

it's item #5. no reference on this in bentley or ETMS.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB52&mospid=47370&btnr=61_0926&hg=61&fg=25&hl=14

pingu
11-22-2007, 06:47 AM
In the electrical box under the bonnet, at the left hand side of the car, just by the windscreen.

If your car has the drive-away protection (which helps to avoit it being stolen) then there might also be a relay behind the left kick panel. My car doesn't have this system but I'm fairly confident that those cars that do have the relay there.

ktteoh
11-22-2007, 03:03 PM
i just pulled up mine and it's weird - it just have 2 leads at pins 30 and 87. also when i give the starter a stiff knock or two, it starts ok again.

what's wrong here and how many bolts are securing the starter motor?

In the electrical box under the bonnet, at the left hand side of the car, just by the windscreen.

If your car has the drive-away protection (which helps to avoit it being stolen) then there might also be a relay behind the left kick panel. My car doesn't have this system but I'm fairly confident that those cars that do have the relay there.

attack eagle
11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
because yours is a 5 speed, it doesn't have the relay.
I forget the name of it but that "relay" in manuals is just a jumper to join the two terminals together.
Starters have 2 bolts from what I can tell.

sounds a lot like a sticking solenoid to me