PDA

View Full Version : Do you own\use air tools for your Bimmer?

puppypilgrim
11-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Just wondering if I should pickup a compressor and air tools for Christmas. Seems to me they make a lot of the work easier if you have them.

How many of you own and\or beg use air tools for your car?

myles
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
I've got a 1/2" rattle gun and borrow other tools from a friend. I don't use it often, but when I need it I couldn't do without it.

I've got a nail gun too, but thats not much use on the car.

infurno
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a lot of air tools but charging the big compressor takes a while, its noisy, you have to keep up the pressure to be effective, and air tools tend to be large and harder to get into spots. Air compressor also takes a bit of cleanup with the hose, and need to empty any water in the tank every once in a while. Oh and remember to oil your tools or they wont last long.

Its also risky. If your not careful you could strip a thread or something.

I only use mine when I really have to, which is rare. Almost never under the hood.

Then again its a life saver when dealing with nuts/bolts that are hard to force loose. High quality air tools will force pretty much anything free. IMHO its a good investment that you will find use for later (nail gun, painting car, filling your tires, ect..) any serious diy mechanic should have one.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Hell yes!

The only way to go when you get down and dirty with the suspension.

The motor and interior only get hand tools

MBXB
11-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Same as Blitz Bob

1/2 inch and a 3/8 inch

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Same as Blitz Bob,god bless the Snapon rattje gun that lives on a charger under the back seat!

Dave M
11-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Same as Blitz Bob,god bless the Snapon rattje gun that lives on a charger under the back seat!

Please explain. Are we talkin a snap on cordless electric impact? If so, what type of torque can it produce? I've got a cheaper corded electric that I love, but am interested in another if its got more jam. Oh, being a snap on, whats the price like?

Dave M

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Please explain. Are we talkin a snap on cordless electric impact? If so, what type of torque can it produce? I've got a cheaper corded electric that I love, but am interested in another if its got more jam. Oh, being a snap on, whats the price like?

Dave M

Pneumatic..cheap and powerful!

Most of the inexpensive electric or cordless stuff is crap, and the good stuff would finance a decent of pneumatic stuff. Plus the tools tend to be kinds big and the battery always dies in the middle of a job.

e34.535i.sport
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't mind a set but I've managed to change all suspension parts with a jack stand, a 3/8 ratchet and a breaker bar. All this with some rain and very late nights thrown in... Piece of cake. :p

Tiger
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
You don't need big compressors... even a 3 gallon Craftman compressor is enough. This will be on sale on Black Friday. However, if you want quieter one, you will have to go to Lowes for the rotary compressors they have there... way quieter.

Alot of Harborfreight air tools are enough for most of us... just buy them when they are really on sale... best bang per buck. Sometime you may see package deal at like Costco... those are good enough too. Earthquake 1/2" impact is powerful tool. Can take everything off.

Vanguard
11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
They sure make a lot of the work easier. Just remember to only use them to remove fasteners not to tighten them unless you don't have a choice - harmonic balancer or other things that rotate.

I have a 2 1/2" impacts, 3/8" air ratchet, a 3/8 butterfly impact, a cut-off wheel plus a couple of grinders (straight and 90* angle). My stuff is a mix of Campbell Hausfeld and Harbor Freight. Inexpensive and very useful.

The 3/8" butterfly impact was particularly helpful changing the waterpump. With the fan removed but radiator in place, I was just able to get it and a 13mm short socket in to remove the 8 harmonic balancer bolts.

I have a 5 hp 22 gal Craftsmen compressor. It take about 2 min to fill and doesn't cycle too often with the impact wrenches or ratchets.

RallyD
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
i have a slew of air tools but for some reaso I prefer to use a breaker bar with cheater extension because it gives me a better feel for how things are going.

Get a can of PB Blaster, it nearly eliminates the need for pneumatics. damn i love that stuff!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Did you really need to post this on 3 E34 forums???

I'll go post my reply on the others now

brosher
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Did you really need to post this on 3 E34 forums???

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Not everyone frequents the same boards. When you post in several forums you get a wider sampling of feedback. Different boards have different concentrations of users. Some boards are Canadian, some are American, some European. If you don't want to read the post, don't click on it.

True, each board/forum has it's own character.

puppypilgrim
11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Not everyone frequents the same boards. When you post in several forums you get a wider sampling of feedback. Different boards have different concentrations of users. Some boards are Canadian, some are American, some European. If you don't want to read the post, don't click on it.

DanDombrowski
11-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I've got a Craftsman air compressor and a set of air tools. There are some jobs that I don't even bother to turn the tank on, like brake jobs (sometimes), oil changes, and fluid flushes, but for other stuff its extremely handy to have around.

I'd say my 2 favorite things about having the air compressor is
1 - not having to loosen the lugs, then lift the car, then finish taking the lugs off. Lift car and bam bam bam bam bam done.

2 - the spray nozzle makes cleaning greasy areas and small crevices on the interior much easier!

Also, it makes turning the spring compressor much less tiring

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I also just found the 4th post over at bimmerboard. lol. ;)

I could be wrong and he's just post whoring around

Jr ///M5
11-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Been using a DeWalt 18v-1/2" drive cordless impact. It loosened the 90 ft.lb. thrust arm bushing bolt no problem. Totally portable, no hose, it's light and makes short work of a suspension job. It's expensive, but it works nice.

JR

brosher
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
True, each board/forum has it's own character.

I also just found the 4th post over at bimmerboard. lol. ;)

skotE34
11-21-2007, 05:51 AM
snap on cordless 18v very powerful about $500 for set extra battery and quick charger. cheaper with ingersol and 18v just as powerful. I personally like hitachi smaller and just as strong but high price. Ive had all and sold the rest but the hitachi. snap on makes good stuff 99% of my tools are snap on, but air tools are definitely better with ingersol and cordless is either hitachi or milwaukee. I make my living with these tools and i have about $200k worth. so i know something about tools.