PDA

View Full Version : Max speed w/sunroof open?

RobPatt
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
....so I'm zippin along I-10 today about 85/90mph and see that my headliner is REALLY buffeting and darn near about the lay down in the back seat...

guess you can't groove along like that w/4 windows open and the sunroof on a gorgeous fall day....

closed the sunroof bit, that helped.

so w/all the knowledge here, anyone aware of an obscure entry in an owners manual or something that says the effect of "don't drive over 55mph w/the sunroof open?

just wondering.... kinda sucks, gonna have to put up a big magnet or something to hold that sucker to the roof!! ha ha.

DaveVoorhis
11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't think I've been over 80mph with the sunroof open on my bimmer -- and the headliner stayed put -- but I've run at top speed (approx. 150mph) in my old C4 Corvette with the targa top removed. Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

whiskychaser
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
....so I'm zippin along I-10 today about 85/90mph and see that my headliner is REALLY buffeting and darn near about the lay down in the back seat...

guess you can't groove along like that w/4 windows open and the sunroof on a gorgeous fall day....

so w/all the knowledge here, anyone aware of an obscure entry in an owners manual or something that says the effect of "don't drive over 55mph w/the sunroof open?

just wondering.... kinda sucks, gonna have to put up a big magnet or something to hold that sucker to the roof!! ha ha.
Do you wear a flying helmet, goggles and a white scarf by any chance?

Derek A.
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Your headliner is toast.

I have hit 110 with the sunroof open - no problem.

RobPatt
11-19-2007, 06:51 PM
..the "Red Baron".

other guy hit 110mph w/his roof open... guess I'm doing too much open motoring.... always drive w/the roof open, guess she's just getting blown out.

Do you wear a flying helmet, goggles and a white scarf by any chance?

Elekta
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
however, if you open your rear windows and your regulators are loose, the suction will prevent them from closing properly, and you may squish your rubber gasket on the aft side of the window...this is a bummer, because once it gets out of shape, it is very hard to get it back and to close without pinching it badly again and again. Be sure to close rear windows first, and then sunroof last or forward windows last so that the rears don't pinch on the rubber guides and ruin them.

no need to ask me how I know that

Paul in NZ
11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
however, if you open your rear windows and your regulators are loose, the suction will prevent them from closing properly, and you may squish your rubber gasket on the aft side of the window...this is a bummer, because once it gets out of shape, it is very hard to get it back and to close without pinching it badly again and again. Be sure to close rear windows first, and then sunroof last or forward windows last so that the rears don't pinch on the rubber guides and ruin them.

no need to ask me how I know that

also find buffetting is worse if the rear windows are open,close em whenever the speed increases esp if sunroof is open,even tilted

bsell
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM

I like tilting the sunroof up at speed (130kph+) to make a vacuum in the car. Ain't nothing better than feeling your eardrums try to jump out your ear canals!:)

I have opened the roof going 160 kph+ just to stick my hand out and feel the rush of wind. :D The buffeting (like blowing over the opening of a bottle) is annoying. I don't keep the roof open above 100 kph anymore as it is just too annoying to me.

I would rather cruise (<100kph) down the road with the windows open and the sunroof tilted up. That way, I keep the sun off my head and the hot air gets sucked out the sunroof.

Brian

bsell
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I've wondered if the stance of my car is wrong because of the obnoxious howl that results from driving with the sunroof open.
If I disturb the air flow with my hand it quiets down though.

Is this just the way it is, or is something not right?

Is your flapper flapping up? You know, the little air deflector jobbie right at the front of the sunroof hole.

Now that you mention stance, mine is rather ass down as it were. To the point that I want to spend the time and money to swap in fresh springs to kind of even things out while raising them some to reduce the pretty drastic inner tread wear out back.

So maybe my tail-dragging stance keeps the sunroof noise out of the 'howling' territory?

Brian

EricB
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I've wondered if the stance of my car is wrong because of the obnoxious howl that results from driving with the sunroof open.
If I disturb the air flow with my hand it quiets down though.

Is this just the way it is, or is something not right?

philbyil
11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
even though your headliner is flapping around, I bet you will find a post regarding the regluing of the headliner on the board somewhere;) !