PDA

View Full Version : When to sell the M50 E34?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
The trans this e34 is a GM made one.

A common trans, and with regular fluid and filter changes will go on for a while more.

Sam-Son
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
my auto had what was it 170? miles on it when I swapped it out....still worked flawlessly..I hust hate autos

Sam-Son
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
manual or auto tranny?

my 525i has 167k miles on it, and still shifts great (manual) and i'm thinking i will sell it after it's gone over 200k miles.
Filip that vid came out great that cam mount seems to be working perfectly I'll definitely have to try it out

93 525 Paul
11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
My wife loves and drives our brilliant red 93 525. It has 156k miles on it now and I'm the second owner. The PO had all records and did dealer maintenance and since then (90k miles) I've done all the regular maintenance. I've put Mobil 1 in it for awhile now. I've had the full tranny fluid exchange a couple of times.
I've done the front end flush, the guibo, struts, had the stereo reconditioned (need to again) replaced the lcd display in the dash, fixed the rear trunk wire sever issue, blah blah blah.
It's a great car but every time I drive it I wonder about the tranny. I've read about and I think I can handle the valve body rebuild (anybody got the link to that?) and I've rebuilt domestic trannies, but I'm still nervous on this one.
Looked at a red 940 and was hot to upgrade until I learned it has no records. The wife doesn't need the extra HP anyway.
So, is a nice second owner 525 M50 a hold or a sell when it has 156k miles on it? How big a deal is the tranny for an above average wrench?

filip00
11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
manual or auto tranny?

my 525i has 167k miles on it, and still shifts great (manual) and i'm thinking i will sell it after it's gone over 200k miles.

93 525 Paul
11-20-2007, 12:50 PM
The car has the auto, but it's GM made? I thought the 4HP22 was German, no?

philbyil
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Keep driving it and don't worry....if the tranny is going to quit on you it will, more likely than not, start telling you it's going Tango Uniform.

With regular fluid changes it should continue to give you good service. When it starts going...replacing it isn't that bad of a job and replacing it will be way cheaper than buying another used or, better still, a new car. At least you know the history of yours.

My wife loves and drives our brilliant red 93 525. It has 156k miles on it now and I'm the second owner. The PO had all records and did dealer maintenance and since then (90k miles) I've done all the regular maintenance. I've put Mobil 1 in it for awhile now. I've had the full tranny fluid exchange a couple of times.
I've done the front end flush, the guibo, struts, had the stereo reconditioned (need to again) replaced the lcd display in the dash, fixed the rear trunk wire sever issue, blah blah blah.
It's a great car but every time I drive it I wonder about the tranny. I've read about and I think I can handle the valve body rebuild (anybody got the link to that?) and I've rebuilt domestic trannies, but I'm still nervous on this one.
Looked at a red 940 and was hot to upgrade until I learned it has no records. The wife doesn't need the extra HP anyway.
So, is a nice second owner 525 M50 a hold or a sell when it has 156k miles on it? How big a deal is the tranny for an above average wrench?

whiskychaser
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Risk repeating myself, but I dont now why you guys didnt get the 5 speed auto (5HP18) in the 525. Poor you. From what I've heard the GM box isnt so difficult to fix. But if you can do that and put it back in a weekend you are a better man than I am Gunga Din

filip00
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Filip that vid came out great that cam mount seems to be working perfectly I'll definitely have to try it out

yes, the only problem is the speed can only be seen on the tacho, if you're looking at the driving, it seems kinda slow, but in real life it's pretty fast, drifting speed is around 35mph....

i feel shoot another vid, but this time gonna have a camera car following me, that should look fab.

RobPatt
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
..and IS a pretty decent tranny... is also used in same vintage Honda/Isuzu Rodeos... some versions of cadillac (I think) and a few others.

look for the GM name of the tranny which is somethign like 4L30E.

uscharalph
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
My 89 525 M20 has the same 4HP22 transmission with 281,000 miles on it.