PDA

View Full Version : Who had trouble withe CD43+DICE link?

Jehu
11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
This (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1562)guy says it will work plug 'n play on later model E34's if i read him correctly but I thought maybe Swenpro was having some problem getting it to work in some way. Recalling the group buy here a while back, why was a home made adapter needed, was that for older E34's? My bleeped up radio is making me consider emerging into the 21st C. buying an Ipod and digitizing my CD collection. That should keep me busy thru the Winter..

swenpro
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
this is the thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35298&highlight=dice) where I discussed the issues I've been having with the DICE. MacV quickly replied that he too was having the same problem. I've been in touch with Tom who works for EAS (your link) and both he and DICE customer support have said the same thing--the CD43 rejects the DICE iPod module sometimes for unknown reasons, and the only way they will be able to resolve the problem is to have a unit in-house (SoCal) to do some datalogging.

The CD43 head unit is perfectly functional, completely plug-and-play, and definitely worth the upgrade. The special wiring pertained only to the DICE module.

Elekta
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I bought that kit in the group buy a few months ago, but still haven't put it in.

Should I send the box with the deck and the dice kit out to this guy for a test? would that help everybody, or just me?

lmk, and ask him to drop me an email. I'd just as soon send before hand as I have an installer who is going to upgrade some speakers and do the install. I'd rather have him install a perfect unit upfront than have to do anything twice.

geoff

Paul in NZ
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I havent installed mine either.In my mind MAC or swenpro should send their units in ,because we know they are having trouble,yours might work!I would apreciate this,as the ipod is really the reason i got the cd43 in the first place!Its a bit far to send mine in!

Macv
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
One of you guys need to hook it up and see if you get the same problems. If you do then PLEASE send it in. I'll buy you dinner if they fix it.

Otherwise I'll be forced to send mine in to save everyone.

Someone be a sweetie and step up.

Paul in NZ
11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
I am gonna have my own issues...early cars have different wiring dont they?.Dinner eh.....will you come here or will go there?

Macv
11-20-2007, 06:27 AM
I am gonna have my own issues...early cars have different wiring dont they?.Dinner eh.....will you come here or will go there?

Err awfully far.... I'll have to order it local to you :D

You're correct though. We may need someone that has the newer wiring.

Jehu
04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Did anything ever come of the Ipod /CD 43 link issue or is it still not strictly functional.

BFEINZIMER
04-07-2008, 12:32 AM
where in socal?

Macv
04-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Did anything ever come of the Ipod /CD 43 link issue or is it still not strictly functional.

DAMN!!!

My car has been knocked off its feet for the past 3 months and I never thought to send my radio and stuff in for them to check.

swenpro
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
DAMN!!!

My car has been knocked off its feet for the past 3 months and I never thought to send my radio and stuff in for them to check.

Is it too late to send it now? They should really only need it for a week or so.. sure would be nice to dust off the DICE and be able to us it ;)

Jehu
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
DAMN!!!

Reason I ask is in spite of someone here's suggestion my Alpine 5 cassette malfunctioning control buttons may be due to metallic dust filtered in when the windshield was out and the Body Shop ground some rust away,I haven't tried to take the face plate off and blow any debris away but have just grown increasingly more irritated when I have to hit each button a dozen or so times and often overshoot my objective but worse the fact that the ch changer is not Bump Friendly makes digitizing my music seem very attractive.

Elekta
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I finally installed my cd43 and sirius and dice adapter in my 95 M5T, and so far so bad.

The DICE instructions shows a different business cd radio to start with, and the only way to get the radio to initialize was to pull the radio, then take out the fuse, and let the radio clear itself (basically reboot) and then when you push the CD button it finds the IPOD. Trouble is, if you turn the car off and then back on, all is no worky all over again.

My installer is 30 miles away so now that I have a moment, I am still unable to initialize my sirius either....ugh. He is a first rate techi who soldered everything and checked all wiring and grounding etc...

other than that the CD43 is gorgeous and my speakers are fine which was a concern with the POS blaupunked euro radio that is finally gone. Guess I'll play CD;s in it. BUT I was fully expecting to be listening to the Jerry channel today.

If anyone has other links to this group buy and how to get this initializing sorted out, please chime in.

mottati
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
i have a cd43 with working dice silverline ipod adapter. I had the same issues as elekta at first, worked fine until i shut things down, then the cd43 never would find the ipod again. I emailed the vendor (tom at eas) who sent me instructions to get it working (i looked at my email, don't have it). In a nutshell:
disconnect the ipod from the dice connector. Disconnect both neg and pos battery cables, hold together (+ and - cables) for a few seconds. Leave both disconnected for about 10 minutes. Re-connect battery, reboot ipod (still disconnected), i think this is pressing the play and select button simultaneously for a few seconds until the apple logo appears (get the correct info for your particular ipod from apple.com, search rebooting ipod). Once the ipod is fired up again, reconnect it to the dice cable, then turn everything on. Should be working fine now, and mine has been trouble free since.
Mike

Elekta
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
i have a cd43 with working dice silverline ipod adapter. I had the same issues as elekta at first, worked fine until i shut things down, then the cd43 never would find the ipod again. I emailed the vendor (tom at eas) who sent me instructions to get it working (i looked at my email, don't have it). In a nutshell:
disconnect the ipod from the dice connector. Disconnect both neg and pos battery cables, hold together (+ and - cables) for a few seconds. Leave both disconnected for about 10 minutes. Re-connect battery, reboot ipod (still disconnected), i think this is pressing the play and select button simultaneously for a few seconds until the apple logo appears (get the correct info for your particular ipod from apple.com, search rebooting ipod). Once the ipod is fired up again, reconnect it to the dice cable, then turn everything on. Should be working fine now, and mine has been trouble free since.
Mike

Ok, I just rebooted like you said, and everything works. It was a total pain in the a$$ with two car seats, removing the back bench, and my leads won't even reach to touch to together so I had to use a jumper. Then the radio code, and of course my OBC is back to Italian.

The Sirius fires up when you select CD5 and then arrow to the right. The Nano appears to work fine, and I am lucky that the friend that gave it to me made a 967 playlist (which apparently the DICE/CD43/Nano works the best) Does everyone's CD43 look the same? The business radio in the DICE diagram is incorrect.

Are there any secrets to keeping it from malfunctioning? Are there any better operation diagrams to better operate the IPOD with the CD43? Both my DICE pins are in the up/ON position.

Loving the AMBER

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/elekta/th_DSCN1031.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/elekta/?action=view&current=DSCN1031.flv)

While I was in the back area, I looked for my keyless remote harness to hook up my standard e34 key fob and box I have sitting around and again I am snake bit with finding the harness. It wasn't in my euro spec 530iT and now missing again from the M5T, also spec allemande. For a Euro 1995 MY M5, what did the keyless entry look like? Could you find out in the build sheet BL01908? I dunno, I would love to have keyless entry just for the convenience. All in all a decent day...my 30th anniversary of my first dead show at red rocks 7/8/78 and I get to listen to them on ch 32 on Sirius.

cheers

Bo525i
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
For a Euro 1995 MY M5, what did the keyless entry look like?

The IR unit, controller and reciever will be built into the mirror, 9 or 10 wire loom should be under the headlining, up under the domelight tucked away to the left!

attack eagle
07-09-2008, 03:36 AM
ouch.

might as well go aftermarket alarm then Geoff. It'll both work better and be more reliable.

Elekta
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
The IR unit, controller and reciever will be built into the mirror, 9 or 10 wire loom should be under the headlining, up under the domelight tucked away to the left!That looks bitchin, but it aint in my tourer. I do have that auto eye in the upper right tho