PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace other parts with upper control arms?

walkman
11-18-2007, 09:26 PM
My '92 525i (115Kmiles) has had the classic shimmy and banging sound on the right side when going over bumps. The boot on the upper control arm is damaged. I didn't see a particular problem with anything else.

I've ordered new upper control arms. Do I need to replace the lower control arms (or anything else) at the same time?

I'm probably going to sell the car within a year, so I don't want to spend more money than I have to.

John 535is (Sydney)
11-19-2007, 03:48 AM
You can replace the upper arms without anything else.
I did mine about 12 months ago. It is a simple job, and you don't have to take anything else off to do it.

Once you replace the bottom ones you have to undo the bottom of the strut to get at the nut, I took the project a bit to far and ended up replacing the struts (Bilstien sport), springs (Zender sport), tie rods, pitman arm, drag link, lower arms (Aluminium), sway bar links. Handles nice now though.

John 535is

Sam-Son
11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
make sure the endlinks aren't worn when you start moving everything around under there you might find that they're worn...thats what happened with me anyway

Brandon J
11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
The uppers can be changed by themselves. I have changed 2 dozen of them in a lot of e34s. REMEMBER to preload the bushing, meaning the arms has to be in the normal loaded position before tightening the bushing bolts. (as if the car was sitting on the ground) The way I preload is I raise the strut housing, using the jack via the spindle, right before it begins to lift the car.

We cannot tell you what needs to be changed. We are not there at your e34. Change what needs to be fixed. If you are planning to get rid of the e34, then change the necessary Thrust arms. Then see what else pops up after that. I might suggest to also check the swaybar links as you mentioned front end clunk. If they are good, no need to spend money on new ones.

Jeff325525
11-19-2007, 11:23 AM
If you want to do the work once, do the uppers and lowers. About $100 more for the parts on ebay. Also check your rear upper shock mounts, they are likely gone at 115k.

Jeff
91 525i
95 525i

walkman
11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about ebay. I was finding the lower control arms for about $200 at regular websites.

Is there a recommendation for what stores are best to use on ebay?

walkman
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
How do I tell if the End Links need to be replaced?

On the control arms, I'm just looking to see if the boots are damaged.

Sam-Son
11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
How do I tell if the End Links need to be replaced?

On the control arms, I'm just looking to see if the boots are damaged.
get it up on a lift and give the endlinks a little shove and if theres a lot of play and they make a lot of noise while driving you should think about replacing them

e34.535i.sport
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Just do the uppers for now, if the sound goes and everything feels good t6hen you're sorted. When you buy the upper arms make sure you get them with the bush already pressed in, save any messing around later.